Multivitamins

Sandie E.
on 5/25/14 3:27 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

So I am taking bariatric fusion and they are pretty good but I have a hard time getting it in 4 times a day. Also, I'm tired of the chewables texture. The nice thing is with these, the only extra supplement will be calcium and with other vitamins sometimes there are more supplements needed. I am also thinking about the price for this every month for the rest of my life. Are there any other better alternatives to this?  What are you all doing?

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

poet_kelly
on 5/25/14 3:33 am - OH

Actually, to meet the guidelines of the ASMBS, you would need EIGHT Bariatric Fusion a day and you would still need B12 in a sublingual, nasal spray or shot, and you might need extra iron and calcium and would almost certainly need extra D3.  And all the calcium carbonate in the Bariatric Fusion may end up causing you kidney stones.

Yes, I think there are better alternatives.  I take the Family Dollar brand multi, which is equivalent to Centrum.  I take Kroger brand calcium citrate, Sundown Perfect Iron, B12 shots, and D3 from vitalady.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 5/25/14 3:59 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Does the Family Dollar multi have Calcium Carbonate in it Kelly?

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

poet_kelly
on 5/25/14 4:01 am - OH

Yeah, but just a little.  Like Centrum.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mama_dee54
on 5/25/14 4:00 am

My plan for vitamins is also ( if you take 4 Bariatric Fusion 4x daily you don't need any other calcium.) Don't need the sublingual B-12 IF TAKING BARIATRIC FUSION. Vitamin D not needed if taking Bariatric Fusion . iron only if deficient. So I am thinking the 24.99 I got to pay a month for Bariatric Fusion is cheaper than buying everything separate . I plan on buying it continuously I have my first bottle bought and waiting for me for after my RNY ! Also taking 4 pills a day and getting them down sounds like hard enough work for me ! 

poet_kelly
on 5/25/14 4:02 am - OH

So you don't think you need to follow the ASMBS guidelines?  You're OK with getting less than 600 mg calcium citrate, even though the ASMBS says we need 1500 to 2000 mg a day?

mama_dee54
on 5/25/14 4:14 am

Bariatric Fusion has 300mg. of calcium in each pill and 4 a day = 1200mg.. It is designed with every vitamin we need. I got wild cherry and bought them online. My Doc also sells them at the office. 

poet_kelly
on 5/25/14 4:16 am - OH

Right - but more than half of that calcium is calcium carbonate, which we can't absorb.  So you will only get less than 600 mg calcium citrate, which you can absorb.

It's not really designed with every vitamin we need.  I know it says that on the label but it is not true.  For instance, we can't absorb the B12 in it because we don't have enough intrinsic factor in our pouch.  that is why the ASMBS says we must take a sublingual B12, or use the nasal spray or shots.

mama_dee54
on 5/25/14 4:33 am

Hummm I will have to ask my Doc about this ! I want to be healthy that is why I am doing this. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/25/14 5:49 am

No offence - but your doc is surgeon.  He needs to be great in cutting and putting things together. The rest- he probably knows more than most others - but his knowledge masy be based on what  the vitamins companies are telling him. 

Anyway - first year post op RNY - if you did not have any deficiencies going into it - is almost free ride for vitamins supplementions -  most of us have enough fat soluble vitamins and iron stored in our bodies.  So 4 multi like that may work.  But a year or so after ....when we get depleted it may be supper difficult to get those numbers up.  

In addition - low levels of some vitamins (B1, B12, etc ) that are water soluble can cause PERMANENT nerve damage and even kill you)  scary ? You bet,. Some of us who are here for a while seen post from people who become permanently disable beacause they did not supplement enough B12 and the doc did not check that during blood work. 

I like my brain and want it to work good.  My doc may tell me that my B12 at 500 is OK - normal, but unless that number is 800+ I feel like I am soooo tired and depressed. 

My ferritin below 30 - and I can drink 2 double espresso ... And fall asleep sitting up.  

Knowing what feels good for you is critical.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 262 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views
Recent Topics