Make-Up application class?

JLS_NJ
on 5/26/14 2:42 am
RNY on 10/15/13

Recently someone on here had posted about taking a class on how to apply make up.  It is something I would like to do with my daughter. 

Where do you go for such a thing?  What sort of questions is it good to go prepared to answer? 

JLS in Central Jersey

Empty Nester - working toward a healthier ME!

Cunning_Pam
on 5/26/14 5:09 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Hi  JLS, that may have been me. I recently did that and enjoyed it. I've been "putting on a face" now just about daily, which is a brand new thing for me, but I love how it makes me look...I went for a minimal, everyday look, so I don't end up looking "made up", but just polished, with a nicely evened out complexion. My concern about wearing makeup is that it always felt like a mask on my face, but modern products are so light that I don't have that feeling at all.

I went to the same salon/spa where I get my hair cut. They have cosmetologists on staff. You can look at larger independent hair salons and spas, I would think, or you can look up cosmetologists in your local area. There may be people who work independently who do the same thing.

The woman who worked with me asked me things like what sort of products was I currently using (moisturizer, cleanser, etc.) what kind of a look did I prefer, how long was I willing to spend putting on makeup in the mornings, stuff like that. She checked in with me every step of the way, asking things like did I want eyeliner or not, how dramatic or not did I want to go with eye makeup, did I want to use a foundation and powder over that or not, etc. She also drew up a "map" of which product goes where on the face and wrote down all of the names of the various items she used. The cost of the consultation was 60.00 for one hour, which I thought was fair. Be prepared that whoever you find will also probably try to get you to buy the products they recommend to you, but I was prepared to get most of the stuff she used on me and it wasn't a hard sell at all. Your experience could be different, of course. In addition, that's one reason I wouldn't go to a department store cosmetics counter or Sephora, Ulta or something like that. Unless you are paying for the actual consult, they have no stake unless you buy the things they're going to recommend, so you're more likely to get a hard sell (which irritates me to no end.)

It sounds like a great mother-daughter thing to do. Hope you have fun!

PS - One of the things I always had problems with was mascara. By the end of the day I had panda eyes, every time, no matter how "non-smudge" it was supposed to be. Now there's something called "tubing" mascara, however. I use Blinc Mascara Amplified, but there are others that do the same thing. It's a completely different formula from traditional mascara, which used waxes and pigments. This is a polymer that actually wraps around your eyelashes and forms little tubes around each la**** stays put, doesn't smudge or flake, yet at the end of the day it comes off super easily with just warm water. It's pricey, but it stays put, and that's worth it for me. Definitely recommend it if you're looking into revamping your makeup routine.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Dcgirl
on 5/26/14 9:55 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi JLS! I had that done at Sephora. You can usually make an appt though I just went in during off-peak hours and one of their artists did a day face and a night out face for me. Sometimes they try to steer you towards a particular brand or product so don't be shy if you want something with a different consistency or hue! Have fun with it! 

JLS_NJ
on 5/26/14 10:30 am
RNY on 10/15/13

Pam, thank you so much for all the information.  That is exactly where I'm at I need to even out the complexion and learn more about defining my eyes. 

Thank you, 

JLS in Central Jersey

Empty Nester - working toward a healthier ME!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics