5 days post op with so much pain

Ali Shepherd
on 5/26/14 12:13 pm - Smyrna, TN

hi everybody:

5 days post op with so much pain in abdominal area (left side mostly). i feel my life like hell and honestly if i knew ill be in this much of pain i wouldn't do it. please help me how can I overcome this? and what the positions of sleep I can do? can I do side way? please tell everything you think it will relief my pain. the most important thing how long this pain will last??please don't tell me ask your surgeon ! if you about to do so please save it. i'm not truing to be rude but really i'm in a lot of pain

thanks

poet_kelly
on 5/26/14 12:23 pm - OH

I gather your pain meds aren't helping?  Then I would call your surgeon and ask him or her to call in a script for a different pain med.  Taking pain meds is the thing that will relieve your pain the best right now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Monkeygrl14
on 5/26/14 12:38 pm - Fresno, CA
RNY on 03/21/14

Take your pain meds and also work on getting in liquids. I got severely dehydrated and it hurt like Hell. You just had major surgery and yes, it is going to hurt. I was told that I could sleep in any position as long as it wasn't on my stomach. Also, WALK. Even if it is just from one end of the house to the next. It helps get out the gas that they pumped into you for the procedure. If it is so bad that doing these things does not help, man up and call the dr. That is what he and his staff are there for, to assist you through this journey you chose to go on. There is nothing weak about admitting that you are in pain that is unbearable. 

Scarlette B.
on 5/26/14 12:40 pm - TX
RNY on 03/20/14

Mine was so horrible the first 7 or 8 days on my left side...I couldn't sleep on my side etc... Then IT STOPS!  If it nothing extra it will STOP... 10th day on the pain just went slowly all the way AWAY..... Try to rest and drink and let time heal you.... So much healing prayer coming your way

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  

basilmk
on 5/26/14 1:46 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I agree with every other suggestion, especially phoning your surgeon tomorrow morning, drinking your water and walking. Water and walking tend to help with everything so start that habit now!

In addition, my surgeon's booklet suggests sleeping in a recliner chair if you are experiencing post-op pain.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Blackbird1987
on 5/26/14 9:40 pm

Hi, first off… WAY TO GO! You did it! Now focus on healing and recouping. The next few weeks are tough and you are already feeling the "buyers remorse" of 'why did I do this?' 'Can this be un done?' 'If I would have known it was like this, I wouldn't have done it' .. we ALL feel that way at one point or another, usually the first 2 weeks out! THIS WILL PASS and it will be AWESOME. 

I am 3months out as of Sunday. The 8-9 days were very sore and painful for me. I couldn't sleep on my side or stomach at all. I laid on my back and put pillows behind my head and under my arms on each side to help me feel more comfortable. The pain meds made me feel sick but I took them at night to knock me out and let me sleep. You need to rest right now when you are tired and when you are awake (as hard as it is) walk. Walk walk walk walk walk. The walking will help you heal. Also, like others have said, drink fluids…. you aren't going to feel like drinking but you have to consciously drink… trust me, I didn't drink and I ended up severely dehydrated and had kidney stones develop because of it. Drink. 

You are going to do fantastic. I feel for what you are going through right now because 10 weeks ago, I was there … it is so worth it and you are going to be so thankful that you did this in a few weeks. If your pain meds aren't working for you, call the doctor and get another kind of pain med, stay ahead of the pain for pain management and drink and walk and you will be fine! 

Congratulations! 

Denise2200
on 5/27/14 12:30 am

I was in the same boat as you.  I was miserable and angry.  People always tell you how great it is to lose all the weight and get rid of medical conditions.  They don't tell you how much pain you're going to be in aferwards.  Although I probably still would have had the surgery even if someone had told me about it, it would have been nice to be prepared for it.  Mine lasted about 3 weeks.  As they all say, everyone is different.  Yours may be longer or not as long.  Just know that it WILL pass.  At 6 weeks post-op, I'm still not one of those who is ecstatic to have had the surgery, but I'm getting there.  I've lost 30 lbs, look and feel better, but I still sometimes ask, "Why did I do this to myself?" 

As for sleeping, they say you can sleep however it is comfortable for you.  I slept in my recliner for about that same 3 weeks, maybe a little longer.  I could not lay down because it hurt so bad.  Good luck with your pain.  Definitely keep taking your pain meds, and if they are not working, call your surgeon's office & ask for something else.  Take the meds on schedule even if you don't think you need them because once that pain gets ahead of you, the meds will take longer to help.

Just know that you are not alone and hang in there.  Even though it doesn't seem like it now, it will get better.  Just like things will get better from where I'm at and the issues I'm still having.  Good luck!

Sandie E.
on 5/27/14 1:01 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Sounds like the pain meds aren't working to manage pain so I would get that fixed. Also I slept in my recliner for the first week or so that way I didn't stretch everything out and it was easier to get up. Try that maybe. Also like everyone said already the walking and fluids as well. Hope it feels better soon. 

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

LittleMiss2013
on 5/27/14 3:25 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

It WILL pass....you are only 5 days post op so I would say in the second week...about day 10 it will start to improve quite a bit. Tie the belt from your robe around the foot board of your bed...or around the leg of your bed at the bottom, and use it to pull yourself up when you need to get up. If your left side hurts the most, try sleeping on your right side. If you can't move when laying down, try sleeping in a lazy boy chair OR stacking a TON of pillows in your bed so you are in more of a sitting up position. This way you won't have to use your stomach muscles as much sitting up and laying down. Try calling your surgeon for stronger pain meds if absolutely needed......SLEEP as much as you can.....and WALK around your house in between sleeping. Don't forget to drink...get your protein when you can it helps you heal. You can do this...I promise.

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Tbrads01
on 5/27/14 5:01 am
RNY on 05/05/14

I had a lot of discomfort until day 7 or 8. Take your pain meds as prescribed and this will take the edge off.  As far as sleeping comfortably, I had to sleep in a recliner for the first week. About 1 1/2 weeks out I was able to lay on my right side for an hour at the time. I am now 3 weeks out and can lay in either side. Everyone says it does get better.  I will NOW agree, every day is a little bit better. 

Hope you feel better soon!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 353 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 220 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 374 views