Recent Victories - both scale and NSV!

dragonlove
on 5/26/14 1:38 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

I've had a great few weeks and I'm really feeling the joy of my WLS and I just wanted to share.

• I have lost 1/3 of my original weight - joints feel so much better!  My husband is the one who pointed out that I've lost 1/3 of my weight!

• I am 2/3 of the way to my goal weight!  Yay!

• I've had to take out the extenders out of my necklaces!  I used to have to put extenders on all my chains because otherwise they were chokers!

• My hips don't rub the sides of the chairs in my office cafeteria any more!

• I'm buying sizes in jeans I haven't worn in over 30 years!

• While getting my nails done, the owner of the shop commented on how much weight I'd lost.  She is a tiny Asian lady.  I told her that by the time I finished, I would have lost "her" in weight.  Then I told her I'd lost 90 lbs already and her eyes went wide - she told me I had already "lost her" because she only weighed 90 pounds!  It is so mind boggling to think that I basically used to walk around with her clinging to my back!  That mental image really makes it hit home to me how far I have come!

• I can actually play with my grand-kids on the playground instead of sitting on a bench watching them.  They love Nana sliding with them.

• We had a fire drill at work.  I work on the 20th floor.  Last drill, I was dying by the 10th floor! My knees hurt horribly and I was so out of breath.
    This drill, I really didn't start slowing down until the the last 5 floors and when I got to the bottom, I realized that all the walking I'd been doing wasn't working my thighs enough and now I've started walking down the stairs to meet my friend to go walking at lunch!

• I've actually worn my "low heels" a few times. I love the styles, but because of my feet and ankle pains, I've only been wearing total flats for years.

• Guys at work are finally saying something to me about my loss.  This is big because while the women have noticed for a while and have talked to me about it, the guys have been keeping mum.  (Rightfully so, many of them have previously gotten yelled at by women in their lives for daring to say something about the woman's weight.)  I know I've really changed when the guys start figuring it is safe enough to say something!

• I can actually choose to sit down on the floor and not look like a complete idiot trying to get back up!

So - what are some of your victories?  

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

tdbull
on 5/26/14 1:50 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Wow. Congrats on all of your victories. It's so great to keep these in our conscious thoughts to remind us of how far we have come thanks to this amazing tool.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Laura J.
on 5/26/14 6:08 pm
RNY on 05/22/14

Congratulations!!! That is so exciting to hear! :) I bet you feel on top of the world right now!! Those are all such great accomplishments, good job. Me, I just had my RNY last Thursday and I am healing well so far and really surprised at my mobility already! Those are my victories!

Caroline K.
on 5/26/14 8:40 pm

Congratulations, those are wonderful!

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Dcgirl
on 5/26/14 10:24 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Those are awesome NSVs!  I think you're like me - your only regret is likely not doing this earlier!

I have had a few NSVs lately too - none of my shoes fit (even my feet lost weight), I don't feel hesitant to sit on flimsy patio chairs, the seatbelt on the airplane has tons of slack in it, I easily get 4 miles in per day according to my FitBit, and people are commenting more and more - some have even called me SKINNY (I am far from skinny, but compared with where I came from lol).

Congratulations on all of your success - most exciting would be that your grandchildren get to interact with you!  That must feel amazing!

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/14 10:42 pm
RNY on 12/16/13

Wonderful and inspiring post!  Congratulations!!!!  I am loving being able to play with my granddaughter, chase her around the house, get up and down from the floor, and swing on the swing set;  buying new and smaller clothes and shoes; being off the medications I was taking for my long list of co-morbidities; not minding having my picture taken; and, dropping my bmi from morbidly obese, down to obese and now overweight. 

dragonlove
on 5/27/14 8:03 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Awesome!

karenp8
on 5/26/14 11:48 pm - Brighton, IL

I love hearing how WLS has changed everyone's life! Some of my favorite victories are feeling comfortable working out  and not worrying if people are laughing or staring,being able to put on any outfit and look good,having people who have not seen me for a while not recognize me,and being able to workout hard and still have energy left to do my daily chores.

Amber L.
on 5/27/14 4:16 am - Grandview, MO

It's so inspiring to hear that. Thanks for sharing your great news! Congrats, you should be so proud.

Here's a newbie question, though, what's NSV?

Cheers!

Surgery date: May 28, 2014 | Heaviest Weight: 323 | Height: 5'9" | Age: 30

dragonlove
on 5/27/14 8:04 am
RNY on 11/20/13

NSV = Non Scale Victory

Like when you can buckle an airplane seat belt.  When your favorite shirt fits again. etc.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 297 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views