6 days to go, surgery June 2!

braddsmom
on 5/27/14 3:38 am - millington, MI
RNY on 06/02/14

Hi there,

So excited and anxious. On one hand wish the surgery was today, but on the other hand I am worried something will go wrong & I don't want to leave my two teens & wonderful hubby behind.  Trying to stay  busy and have positive thoughts.

Can't wait to add in other foods, "Better Md", shakes are awful.  Over the years I have had many different protein shakes, that are much better.  But I guess I will see, I have read that taste buds change.

I have a question, have any RNYers been looked at like an alien?  Went to pre-op testing and nurse/dietion appointments, when we had time alone everyone was discussing which surgery they were having.  I was the only one getting RNY.  There were whispers & strange looks.  Finally, one woman asked why omg is that your decision?  Then all the questions came from everyone, wanting to know if I was well informed and almost trying to sell me on sleeve, I left baffled.  I now know why I get the strange looks when I have been at other seminars, groups, meetings... Ect And raise my hand for RNY.

Any suggestions on what to pack for hospital or any other advice would be great!?

Thanks, 

Leslie

jefferytmc
on 5/27/14 3:51 am

Everyone has different reasons for the surgery they have selected.

My wife and I talked extensively prior to surgery about what we felt was best for us.  And then we discussed it with the surgeon.  The conclusion of all that was that we all agreed that RNY was probably the best for both of us.

And really, it does not matter what other people think, what matters is what you and your surgeon feel is best.

It is not like the sleeve does not change your digestive process, it is also newer and does not have as much known about it.

A few years ago, everyone was all over the lapband, now my surgeon says his office has not done one in over a year.  Most are revisions to another WLS method.

RNY has been proven to work over the long term.

As for what to take to the hospital, partly that depends on how long your surgeon keeps you.  My surgeon had me in the hospital the day of surgery, one full day and the first part of another (2 nights/3 days).  I used sandals for walking the halls.  I had my laptop for watching Netflix.  I had my cell phone for FB and texting and other stuff.  And I took loose fitting shorts and t-shirt for wearing to walk in.  Also, in the compression things for the legs, you get hot and itchy, so my wife liked the back scratcher.

And yes, your taste buds can definitely change (both my wife and I experienced this). She is 6 months post op and I am just over 3 months post op.

Best of luck to you.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

braddsmom
on 5/28/14 12:48 am - millington, MI
RNY on 06/02/14

Thanks so much for your wonderful words, that is exactly what I was thinking this surgery was not taken lightly.  Great hospital info, nice to hear from someone who has been thru it. 😀

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/14 5:32 am

Hello Braddsmom. I am feeling exactly as you are. My surgery is Friday morning and I'm excited but very anxious. I just keep thinking about the alternative. If I don't have this surgery, I will probably die from all my comorbidities. I think I'm more nervous about the pain than anything else. Keep those positive thoughts! I'm sure we'll both be fine. 

As far as what to take...I'm taking lip balm, loose sweatpants and t-shirt for my ride home, my soft fuzzy socks, house slippers, and an easy bra that's slips over my head that I got at walmart. I'm also taking my own pillows for comfort and to hold my tummy on the ride home just in case I need them. I'd rather be over prepared than under. Good luck!

braddsmom
on 5/28/14 12:56 am - millington, MI
RNY on 06/02/14

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Congradulations, on your up and coming surgery!  I will be cheering/ praying for you, for an uneventful sugery and speedy recovery!  Please keep us updated, your in me thoughts. 🙏

Cunning_Pam
on 5/27/14 7:02 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I know what you mean about feeling kind of alien due to being an RNYer. Out of five people on the OR schedule on the day of my surgery, I was the only RNYer among the sleevies. However, as Jeffery said, we all come to the decision for WLS with different priorities and ideas, and RNY was a great fit for me and what I was looking for out of my surgery. I don't feel the need to defend my choice, but if people have genuine questions about my reasons I'm happy to discuss it with them.

Regarding the hospital, don't take too much stuff with you. They'll have just about everything you'll need there. I took one set of clothes (I wore the same clothes home as the ones I wore in, as I'd only been in them about an hour), a toothbrush, my robe, my phone and charger, and my Kindle. The hospital provided non-slip socks to walk around in and large sized hospital gowns that fit over IVs and were large enough to cover. I wore the robe just draped over the shoulder on the side that had the IV and was good to go for my walking.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Lisa W.
on 5/27/14 8:25 am - Denver, CO

gratzs you will be just fine just remember chapstick its saved my life couldnt eat or drink so yeah and i brought a pair of sweats and a pillow for ride home just remember walk walk walk and sip sip sip when they let you drink i was terrified up until anestesthisia but it went great you will be good had mine May 7th.

Lisa Willis

Reinette
on 5/27/14 2:18 pm - Marlborough, MA
RNY on 06/16/14

I'm in the same boat.  Mine's at 11am on the 2nd.  Today I've been worrying that I'm going to forget to do something ahead of time like grocery shop for when I get home.  Which leads to worries that I won't buy the right things or my tastes will change.  Then I realize that I am super prepared and that I need to chill out.  Then a few hours later this repeats.

HW: 333; Weight at 1st visit: 318.6; SW: 304.4; CW: 218.4

Mimi2Konnor
on 5/28/14 7:05 am
RNY on 06/03/14

I am scheduled for June 3rd and I am doing the same things.  I keep making lists to be sure I have everything ready for when I get home.  My husband is having surgery 2 weeks after me, so I'm not real sure I'll be up to doing much shopping before then... 

48F   5'10"   HW: 375   SW: 350  CW: 298 as of 9/11/14

juluch
on 5/27/14 11:44 pm

I am scheduled June 9.  I'll be sending happy thoughts to you on the 2nd.  I know I'm in good hands, I had a failed lap band removed 4 years ago, gained, and am 100% ready and grateful for my RNY! Take care!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 469 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 412 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 11 replies · 47 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?