Vitamin D "a little low"

Tanya S.
on 5/26/14 8:15 am
RNY on 03/25/14

I've recently moved and just saw a new PCP last week. I took a copy of my lab work that my surgeon did in April. She reviewed it and said my D looked a little low (28 NG/ML) but didn't recommend vitamins yet. My question is, should I go ahead and start vitamin D or wait until my next lab work in July? Before surgery my D was low and I took a 14 day series of prescription D.  Also, since my move to beautiful Colorado and my weight loss so far, I have increased my time out doors in the sun (this should help my vitamin D production naturally, right?)

Any advice would be appreciated.

poet_kelly
on 5/26/14 9:36 am - OH

28 is super low.  Why doesn't she recommend taking D3?  And you mean she doesn't recommend any vitamins at all yet?  Oy.

OK.  According to the  Linus Pauling Institute, vitamin D should be at least 80.  28 is super super low.  The prescription D won't help because it's D2, which is not absorbed well by anyone, and it's in oil, and now you malabsorb fats.  You need dry D3.  Most post ops need at least 10,000 IU dry D3 a day to maintain a level of 80 and many need a lot more.

As far as other vitamins go, the ASMBS says you should have started a multi and iron as soon as you were discharged from the hospital and should start your calcium citrate no more than 30 days after surgery.  They say you can wait up to three months to start B12 if you want.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tanya S.
on 5/26/14 10:06 am
RNY on 03/25/14

Thanks Kelly. I am already taking Bariatric multivitamin 2 x day and Celebrate chewable calcium 3 x day. I am also chewing my Celebrate iron daily as well as sublingual iron. My other lab values were in range. I was just wondering about the low D and why they didn't start me on D already.  What D3 do you recommend?

poet_kelly
on 5/26/14 10:15 am - OH

The brand doesn't really matter.  I use the 50,000 IU D3 capsules from vitalady.com.  I take it three times a week to keep my level around 100.  I like it because it's a big dose so I only need to take it three times a week.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 390 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics