Gaining Flab, but not pounds

AlaskanSnowflower
on 6/6/14 1:56 pm - Anchorage, AK

Hi. I had gastric bypass surgery nearly 5 years ago and I've lost 100 lbs total. In the last few months, I've started noticing my clothes are getting tighter, but my weight has stayed within 3-4 pounds. I'm noticing a lot of flab around my stomach, legs and arms. Very depressing. I'm not looking for sympathy from anyone, I just needed to let this out. I feel alone and discouraged because I am 58 years old and feel/look much older now. I've always looked younger than my age but with the weight loss my sagging skin has aged me something awful. My face sags now and I have a turkey neck. Losing the weight has helped extend my life, no doubt as I no longer have diabetes, and that alone makes it worth it. I am grateful and yet I wish I were younger so that I could enjoy my new body.  Does anyone else feel like I do?  Thank you for listening.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/6/14 3:08 pm

Hugs. You sound really depressed. 

As we get older - we may lose muscle and bone mass - very typical if we age andf not exrecise and supplement, unless the person exercise to gain muscles.  Weight baring exercise is one way to increase and stimulate muscle and bones building. That plus proper qty of proteins, minerals and vitamins. Consider bones density - at you age you may need to test that, to make sure you are not losing bone mass. 

1lb of fat will take much more space than 1lb of muscles. Tracking not only the we right but body fat % may tell you if you getting bigger - gaining fat but losing muscles while maintaing the same weight. 

As an example - at my current weight I have borderline obese BMI but at the same time I fit comfortable in size 8-10, and can still wear some of my pants size 6.  I am heavier than I look because I have dense large bones, and muscles. 

Exercise may help you build muscles, and improve bone density, and will help with depression.

Hugs 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AlaskanSnowflower
on 6/7/14 7:06 am - Anchorage, AK

Thanks so much for writing me! You have good information, things I haven't thought about like bone density! I'm just past a full year into menopause and it's the timing is interesting with what I'm experiencing. Thanks for your insight, I really appreciate it.  :-)

Ladytazz
on 6/6/14 3:11 pm

I know how you feel.  I am 56 and I feel like I look older, too.  My face looks gaunt, forget the rest of my body.  I know that if I was this weight 30 years ago I would have looked great.  Oh well.

I think part of it is just normal aging, weight loss or not.  Smoking also took a toll on my face as far as the wrinkles go.  But I feel great and I am active.  Today I rode around on my bike and I was grateful.  Where I work I deal with people who are younger then me and are in very bad shape.  They can't walk without help and can't take care of themselves.  I was afraid I was heading in that direction and now I feel younger even if I don't look younger.

Given the choice I would rather feel good then look good.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

AlaskanSnowflower
on 6/7/14 7:01 am - Anchorage, AK

Hi, it's nice of you to reply. It helps to know others understand.  Your right. Your riding a bike is great! I have one in storage, hadn't even thought about riding! Great idea :-). I need to get busy doing something. Thanks again!

MyLady Heidi
on 6/6/14 10:11 pm, edited 6/6/14 10:12 pm

Plastic surgery fixed that problem, no one believes me when I say I will be 50 in September.

AlaskanSnowflower
on 6/7/14 6:56 am - Anchorage, AK

Thanks for posting, did you have a facelift, tummy tuck? I've considered these but not sure if I could go through more surgery. 

tdbull
on 6/7/14 3:00 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
This is my story too. I did have A lower body loft so my tummy and legs are ok, but arms, bubbies, and face are saggy. My hubby tells my I am just a bag of bones and friends ask if I've been sick. I think it's the nature of this surgery and rapid weight loss, especially at out age. I'm 56 and have yo yo dieted since I was 17. I would rather look this way then obese. I go back and look at my photo album on OH when I get discouraged and it reinforces that I made the right choice for me. I am happier and healthier than ever. Yes, I may look bony, but I just don't pay attention. I like where I'm at. I am having a consult for arms and bubbies next week, so we'll see. I keep light weights and arm band in my family room and workout all day, just picking up a 12 lb dumbbell and working out my arms. They look fine, just a little sag that I know will not go away, but it may not bee enough for PS so I may just live with the little sag versus a scar.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

AlaskanSnowflower
on 6/7/14 6:54 am - Anchorage, AK

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think listening to you as well as others is going to really help. You have a positive outlook and that's great! Thanks again. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/7/14 3:16 am - OH

Yes, unfortunately, some of it is just the effects of aging.  Even at "only" 52, I weigh less than I did in high school (and about what I weighed briefly in my mid20s when I became ill from hyperthyroid issues) but my proportions are different than they were the last time I was this size. My hips are somewhat narrower but my waist is a good two inches larger.

As far as my face... Well, the sagging isn't too bad (although it was for the first couple of years after my RNY), but the loss of fat under my eyes is quite noticeable.  I have circles, but they aren't dark... just sunken.

Getting some additional exercise may get you better muscle tone under the "flab" and make you feel better about how you look.

Yes, I definitely wish I had lost the weight much earlier (I had surgery at 45) so I could have more fully enjoyed being a normal size.

Hang in there, and remember that your true value really IS what's on the inside. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics