Anemia

pghgirl
on 6/7/14 1:27 pm

Hello all! I just wanted to ask and see if there was anyone else on here that is Anemic. I just had my blood work done as a pre-op test for bypass and I found out that I am Anemic. My iron was 19 and the normal range is 27. I have been reading online about it and from what I've read, its a pretty serious condition and naturally, I'm freaked out now. My doctor told me to get an over the counter med for it and take it for 6 weeks and then I have to be re-tested. Has anyone had Anemia and it went away? I don't know hardly anything about it so any info would be great. Thanks!

White Dove
on 6/7/14 9:56 pm - Warren, OH

What specifically is he measuring and what over the counter medicine?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Caroline K.
on 6/7/14 10:43 pm

Our support group had a guest speaker from the Humber River Hospital's blood conservancy group, Leona Dove, come and speak on anemia. Some of her information is archived at http://cambridge-wls-support-group.com/documents/default.htm l. You might find it helpful. I had anemia, and she recommended I switch my iron supplement to FeraMax; made a huge difference.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 170 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 371 views
Recent Topics