weird question... seeds?

tpasun
on 6/14/14 3:10 am

I haven't seen this mentioned so Im curious, how do you tolerate food with seeds, like strawberries, raspberries? Was just eating some greek yogurt and noticed the seeds in it, and wondered if that would irritate the stomach after surgery?

My RNY is coming up in about a month and a half, so it's great to have some place to ask these crazy questions I keep coming up with! thanks everyone!

poet_kelly
on 6/14/14 3:21 am - OH

I tolerate them just fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

life_mirrors_art
on 6/14/14 4:13 am - Canada

My nutritionist recommends waiting for six months after the surgery to eat fruits and vegetables with seeds and skins. Bananas are okay.

dccyr
on 6/14/14 5:16 am

i am a little more than 3 months out and having been eating Fruyo rasperry and strawberry yogurt with no issues.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/14/14 1:03 pm - OH

I was allowed fruit (with or without seeds) starting at 4 weeks out except for a couple of fruits (like pineapple) that are very fibrous and hard to sufficiently chew up and/or digest.

I read about people here being told that the seeds can get stuck along the staple line and cause problems but when I asked my surgeon about it (when I was many months out) she said it was nonsense. ;)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Racewalker48
on 6/15/14 1:13 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I was allowed fruit with our without seeds once I progressed to solid.  The only foods I was asked to avoid were fibrous fruits (pineapple, oranges) and vegetables (asparagus).  I tolerate fruits with seeds just fine, although I tend to only eat them in yogurt.  Once I get my protein and vegetables in with a meal, I don't have room for much beyond 4oz of food. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 415 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404