Question about gaining weight after Surgery

Ehbeagle
on 6/15/14 10:44 am - Virginia beach, VA

I realize that most people experience "bounce back regain" of 10-20lbs so this is not about that.  I am worried about gaining half or more back and want to hear from those out there who have experienced this kind of gain.  What went wrong?  What would you do differently?  What did you wish you knew then?

Ladytazz
on 6/16/14 1:02 am

I can give you a little of my experience.  I had my first WLS in 2002.  It worked like magic for me.  Weight just melted off with pretty much no effort from me.  I thought I had found the magic bullet.

In about 2 years I went from 240 lbs to 120 lbs-for about a minute.  Then I started regaining, slowly at first.  I put my head in the sand and attributed it to bounce back.

By year 3 I was about 135, still a good weight for me and at about year 5 I was around 150 or so, still okay.

From year 5 on the weight came on rapidly, as did other problems.  At one point, when the scale read nearly 190 I got scared and tried to diet.  My surgery included a sleeve, which was very big, and I was hungry all the time and was always fighting the hunger.

Within a year I got back down to about 150 and couldn't lose another pound.  The weight came off slower then it ever did no matter what I did but I was fine with 150 even though I still had to diet to maintain it.

But less then a year of that and I finally just broke and said "Screw it" and started eating the way I wanted to, ie lots of refined carb, mainly junk.  Even though the surgery I had was very malabsorptive, no surgery will cause the malabsorption of simple carbs, which I was living on at that point.

I also became very sick due to issues with my surgery.  In 7 months I was over 190 again and pretty much unable to function.  I could go into detail but it wasn't pretty. 

I finally decided that I wanted my surgery reversed.  I had so many problems and had regained so much weight that I had absolutely no benefit from WLS and a lot of negatives.

I went back to my surgeon, who told me I couldn't be reversed but I could be revised so I wouldn't malabsorb so much.   He also suggested that he revise my large sleeve to a RNY pouch.  I didn't go there seeking a revision but I figured if I could regain so much weight with malabsorption then I could really do some damage with less of it, so I agreed.

I decided right then that since I was getting a second chance, a do over so to speak, I would use it to my advantage and do all the things I didn't do the first time.  It took me nearly 8 years to figure out that they weren't kidding when they said WLS is a tool and wouldn't do much if I didn't use it.

I faced the fact, and accepted, that I am a die hard, hope to die addict when it came to food.  I knew what food it was, too.  Refined carbs, anything with sugar or wheat, or best yet, both, in it.

I decided to follow the post op plan to the letter and eliminate all sugar and gluten products.  I am sure I went through detox but since I was recovering from major surgery that kind of took precedent.

For a year I ate exactly what was on my nutritionist's plan, measured out my food and got in at least 100 oz of fluids and 100 grams of protein a day.

The weight flew off, faster then it ever did in my life.  At 10 1/2 months I hit my final goal of 120 and kept losing.  I got too low and finally had to make changes to my eating and got up to about 105 and stayed there for a while.

I totally changed the way I eat.  I still focus on protein and fluids.  I don't drink with meals or 30 minutes afterwards.  I still stay as far away as I can from refined carbs, particularly sugar and gluten.

My weight has been steady at about 110.  I still wouldn't mind a little more bounce back to about 120 but this is where my body stays when I eat in a way I can live with.  I have a lot of restriction this time so I have smaller meals or snacks through out the day.  I am rarely hungry and between that and the restriction it is pretty easy to eat right.

I learned from my last mistake and pretty much decided that what ever I did the first time I would do the opposite this time.

This is the fourth Summer that I am wearing the same clothes.  Believe me when I tell you I have never maintained any weight for any amount of time, much less nearly 3 years.  It is foreign territory to me.  I have clothes that I have to get rid of because they are worn out, not out grown.  I never wore out anything before.  I was never the same size long enough to do that.

Maintaining may not be easy but at least now, with the help of my tool, it is doable, which it never was before.

Also, the main reason for the revision was not the weight gain but a nice benefit.  My reason for having the surgery was to regain my health and I have done that.  I am 56 and healthier then I have been in years.  My goal was to feel good, not necessarily to look good.  And I have reached that goal :)

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/14 3:06 am

Some people do not have 10-20 lbs regain.  It is not mandatory. 

Some - who got down too low - and then regain - opt to keep the higher weight - that may be also easier to maintain. 

The regain - does not happen overnight.  Ignoring first 5-10 lbs, then the next 20-30 lbs and so on may cause regain that stays.. But with the tool we are got - if we work hard- we can lose the 5-10 lbs, much easier than 50-70 lbs.. or more.

At my lowest weight I did not feel very good..not do I look healthy for my age and build.  I wanted to gain a fee lbs.. the few turned into 30... ouch.. right? so now I am losing again (and it is much harder). 7 lbs gone - 10-15 to go.. I know I can do it. 

Is it hard? you bet, but doable.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 399 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404