RNY probs - Kool-Aid mouth

LMB221B
on 6/17/14 11:57 am

How many folks here have this issue? For the first time in my life since childhood I have to double check for Kool-Aid mouth every time I leave the house now. I spend all day drinking Crystal Light mixed with water, and since we can't use a straw, I often have a bit of a Joker mouth thing going on as a result. It doesn't help that my favorite flavor is cherry limeade. I guess it's a small price to pay for being healthier. 

poet_kelly
on 6/17/14 12:10 pm - OH

I don't have that issue.  Why can't you use a straw?  I use one all the time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LMB221B
on 6/17/14 12:26 pm

My NUT said in our classes that we shouldn't use straws because we took in too much air when using one. So, I've been good and haven't been using them. Is this another one of those things they tell you that doesn't really matter?

SuzinDallas
on 6/17/14 12:46 pm

They told me that too. They said it also had to do with being mindful of the sips/drinks we take as a straw makes it easy to take in way more than we should since we're so limited early after our surgery.

About once a week I'll use one without thinking as it was something used a lot pre-surgery.  After about 5-10 sips with the straw it actually does hurt a bit.  Not true pain, but definite soreness. So I've decided no straw for me.

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

poet_kelly
on 6/17/14 12:50 pm - OH

Well, if it causes you to take in too much air and causes discomfort, then I guess you shouldn't use one.  It does not do that to me, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LMB221B
on 6/17/14 1:03 pm

I don't know if it does or not. I haven't used one since my surgery. It would be easier to get in my liquids with a straw, though, so I may try it.

KLNRDH
on 6/20/14 8:09 am

Had my surgery 9 wks ago, and in the preop class they said that straws are NOW okay.  They used to have you avoid them for air intake reasons, but no longer. The sleeve folks still need to avoid I was told....

Kris N RDH    

Age: 45  5' 4 1/2" HW: 298  SW: 261  GW: 150    RNY:  4/17/14 Dr Brams-Mass

Ladytazz
on 6/17/14 2:46 pm

They told me not to use straws, too, but never explained why.  In the hospital after my surgery they gave me a water bottle with a straw in it.  I used it and didn't die so I've used them ever since.  No problems whatsoever.

I just finished my shake a few minutes ago, with a straw.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

QoftheU
on 6/17/14 6:33 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

I tried with and without about a month post-op and noticed no difference at ALL.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

ShebasMom
on 6/17/14 10:32 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I used a straw since I was 2.5 months out (which was also the same time I joined OH), and I haven't had any issues. I can understand with a fresh pouch, you don't want to take in fluids quickly, before the pouch has had a chance to stretch and accommodate it (which could cause you to throw up).

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views