Why can I eat such large amounts?

Showbiz7757
on 6/18/14 1:48 am

It's been six months since my surgery and I'm surprised about the amount of food I can eat. Not "do" eat but "can" eat". I'm on vacation and so I'm out of my normal routine of 4 oz meals. It's seems I can eat 8-12 ounces easy at one meal. Does that seem normal to you?

gtrdyfor50
on 6/18/14 1:51 am
RNY on 10/08/13
Not being snarky, but why even try to do that? Seems like that is just setting yourself up to fail. I have no idea if I can eat that much.

Mo Diggity
on 6/18/14 2:16 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

For me, it completely depends on what I'm eating. If it's a dense protein like chicken, I can eat a lot less of it than something mushy.

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

karenp8
on 6/18/14 2:23 am - Brighton, IL

How much does your doctor say you should be eating at this point? My doctor says at six months you might be able to eat 8 oz or 1 cup if food per meal. At that stage I ate slightly less than that most days,but if it wasn't dense protein like chicken or beef I could eat 1 cup. This is normal. We couldn't be healthy on 1/2 cup of food per meal for life. I'm 21 months out now and most days I can eat a cup of food per meal. I do still measure my food when I am home!

poet_kelly
on 6/18/14 2:27 am - OH

Yeah.  I was eating a cup of food at a time six months out and that was what my plan said to eat.  Seems pretty normal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Showbiz7757
on 6/18/14 2:39 am

Thank you, I've been sticking to 4-6 ounces at each meal but being active on vacation has me starving and so I found myself eating more. 

Ladytazz
on 6/18/14 2:58 am

Like someone said, it depends on the food.  That is why it is recommended that you eat protein first.  It is usually filling and then you can have small amounts of the other things in your meals.

Also, I have big pouch days and little pouch days.  Some days it seems like a bottom less pit and others a few bites fill me up.  No rhythm or reason.  That is why it is important to measure, especially early out until you get a handle on what a small/normal portion looks like.

Remember, the point of WLS isn't to make every meal like Thanksgiving dinner.  It is to allow us to be satisfied with a reasonable amount of food.  I don't eat until I am stuffed.  That is way too uncomfortable for me and I do what I can to avoid it.  I eat enough to be satisfied.  Even if I feel like I could eat more I ask myself if I really need it or is what I had enough to satisfy me.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Louise1974
on 6/18/14 10:19 am

sounds normal to me.  If you were eating 12 ounces of steak I might wonder about that.  But if some parts of the meal are less dense then totally.  I am now 20 months out and how much I eat is very related to how much water content my food has.  For example, for snack today I had a small 2 1/2 ounces burger.  It was really all I could eat.  But the other day I had that same burger on a sandwich thin with lettuce, tomato and onion and ketchup.  I ate that whole thing and also had room for a bite or two of potato salad.  The difference was that between the veggies and ketchup there was water content.  In your pouch that all mixes together and forms a slurry which moves through your stoma faster.  So if you are having salad with chicken, you could totally eat closer to 12 ounces or even more.  Nowadays I have to make really wise choices because if all my meals are really high in water content (like all salad or hummus or even beans) then I can take in too many calories.  i try to keep a few of my meals or snacks more straight up dense protein because it keeps me fuller longer.  And, the bottom line is, if you are eating 12 ounces at a time and losing weight then it is working for you.  Have fun on vacation!

guymo4
on 6/21/14 12:24 pm
RNY on 01/08/14

I too am 6 months out and just returned from vacation. I had the same issue. I was starving and was shocked at how much more I could eat. I was in New Orleans so the food choices were really tough! I stuck to salads,chicken,and fish(if I could find it not battered and fried) I had family over last night and they thought I looked thinner. Shared I was afraid to get on the scale due to how much I ate while away.. Thought I would still be in my stall or even gained a few since I had eaten so much... So this morning I forced myself to weigh in and I was shocked to see that I had lost 15 lbs during my week out of town! Woo Hoo,,, I was stuck in a 3 week stall and couldn't get it to budge. I think my body needed a little extra food and all of the walking I did there helped restart my weight loss. Today I am back to normal eating my usual portion sizes. Eat in moderation and listen to your body. If your hungry then eat .. Just make smart choices of what to eat. Good Luck. 

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 6 Months

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 545 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 528 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 417 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views