Nervous Newbie

Blueeyednikki
on 6/24/14 11:20 am - Canada

Well, I went to my General Information Session yesterday.  I knew this would be a difficult path but I'm scared out of my mind now and am considering not going forward.  I drink a lot of water anyway so that's not a problem.  But don't eat anything with sugar, fat, carb etc.....ok, I get that.  Don't eat anything sticky...gummy....grilled.....in fact buy a crock pot and just eat stew-like food.  Is this just to start with?  Take a vitamin now but not later...2 hours apart...but you have to take it 100 times a day (yeah, I know that's a stretch lol)  Don't drink for 30 minutes before you eat or 30 minutes after....My head is spinning.  

Do you have to do the puree phase or can you just stick to protein shakes for that week as well?  My hair is going to fall out?  I've already got baby fine think hair....does it grow back?  

Sorry but it was overwhelming.  

poet_kelly
on 6/24/14 12:00 pm - OH

Oh gosh.  did they really tell you all that?  Not to eat anything with sugar or fat or carbs?  That's not correct.  You shouldn't eat things high in sugar or fat or carbs, but, like, a glass of skim milk has 12 grams of sugar (in the form of lactose) and 12 grams of carbs.  You can have a glass of skim milk.  You can have yogurt, fruit, cheese, beans, all sorts of foods that have sugar, fat and/or carbs.

Nothing sticky?  I just ate a spoonful of almond butter.  Plenty of fat and it's sticky!  And nothing grilled?  Why on earth not?  I don't even own a crockpot.

I don't take vitamins 100 times a day.  I take them four times a day.

There is no reason not to drink for 30 minutes before you eat.  Liquids go right through the pouch, so they'll be gone before you start eating anyway.

I guess you could just stick to protein shakes instead of doing pureed food.  But you'll probably be tired of protein shakes.  Some sugar free pudding, yogurt, ricotta cheese topped with spaghetti sauce (microwave it and it tastes like lasagna without the noodles) or refried beans with shredded cheddar and taco sauce will probably sound pretty good. 

Some of your hair will probably fall out.  It's a common side effect of general anesthesia, called telogen effluvium.  It's just temporary.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Blueeyednikki
on 6/24/14 12:46 pm - Canada

Thanks for those tips, they sound do-able for me.  I've got Sjogren's Syndrome and was worried about not drinking water before eating...I wouldn't be able to get the food down.

Lori W.
on 6/26/14 2:39 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

"...but you have to take it 100 times a day (yeah, I know that's a stretch lol)"

hyperbole, noun: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
selhard
on 6/24/14 1:53 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

My eight-hour long general information session was a couple of years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday. Beside being a nervous newbie as well, I was feeling way too sorry for myself until two other attendees were wheel chaired into the room no longer able to walk under their weight.  My head was spinning from all the information, too.  A former WLS patient was there to answer questions.  She said, "WLS is like taking a giant leap of faith."  By days end, I was ready to take that leap.  If it helps any to know, post-op requirements become routine within weeks, you can stick to protein shakes, and hair loss does come back.  There is one thing I have yet to grasp, however... this second chance at a new life feels more like a dream than for real.

tdbull
on 6/24/14 3:02 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I ate yogurt, sf jello and puddings, creamy soups during puréed stage. Plus my stages only lasted 1 week each. So at 3 weeks post op I was on soft foods, like veggie chili, and 4 weeks post op I was introducing normal food it's not back at all bc you likely won't even have an appetite. I now read labels, try to keep the foods I eat under 10 gr fat and 6 gr sugar per serving. I don't look at carbs while deciding what I eat, but it does get logged in myfitnesspal. I don't wait 30 minutes to eat after I drink, but I do wait al least 30 but more like 1 hour after I eat to drink anything. I take a lot of my vitamins in the AM, spread my calcium throat the day, and take my C and iron before bed by themselves. It's now a way of life for me, and actually very simple. My hair did thin between months 4-6, but now it's back to normal. I do still take a biotin supplement every day. Try not to worry so much. This forum provides a lot more realistic facts that pre surgery general sessions I think. Read posts here and get comfortable with how actual WLS patients have adjusted to this lifestyle.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

lomercha
on 6/25/14 1:42 am

Bottom line...no matter what you have to do after surgery, which amounts to lifestyle changes and habits...you can do it if you want to! I have no regrets five years out, and in am sooo glad I did not chicken out. I went from 255lbs to fluctuating in the 130's. bEST DECISION of my life :)

jaynes-jump
on 6/26/14 2:31 am

HI, I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow and it is a little difficult but not like you re explaining. I take my main meds in a.m. Then and hour later I eat something. Yogurt or shake. and then 2 hours later I eat my calcium citrate. In another hour or 2 I will take my vitamins and baby aspirin. then eat a lunch. Then an hour after lunch then have my gall bladder med. The meds and vitamins are all done then. I drink a LOT of water. You will be surprised at what you can do after you have this surgery. Before I would get shaky if I didn't eat enough or a certain food. I haven't at all since surgery. Also all headaches gone. The first week is what I would say is the hardest to get the shakes in but then you can add more foods in. Wendys chili is a great one! also the no fat or low fat and sugar free and low sugar taste great!  would not have eaten it before because of the taste but now its all good. I didn't think I was going to be able to do it but it is NOT hard!  If you can take your Iron and eat your protein you wont lose your hair as much. You may lose some but it does come back. That was one of my main things too since  I have fine hair too.YOU can do this! CONGRATULATIONS! on your upcoming surgery!

jaynes-jump
on 6/26/14 2:32 am

also wanted to say that I am down 30# in three weeks! Its amazing.

Blueeyednikki
on 6/26/14 12:09 pm - Canada

Congratulations on your weight loss and thank you all for your advice.  I appreciate your encouragement and and moving forward.  I want what you have...success!  

Glad to be able to get the "read deal" from those that have been/or currently going through the process.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404