Hello , I'm new here and have some questions and I'm sort of confused with RNY and DS

Helenation
on 7/3/14 10:45 pm

Hello I'm new here, My surgry for RNY has been aproved, my surgery date is pending to one more appointment that I have to go through with the pulmonologyt, after that, I should have my surgery date, which should be the end of July if beginning of August, only becaue the pulmonologyst didn't have any appointment opened before July 17, otherwise I could've had my surgery before that. I used to have the band, which unfortunately didn't work for me for almot 10 years, was removed in January, since then I've gained about 40 pounds, and I'm at 250 now. This time I decided for RNY, my BMI is 40 and I thought I could benefit fro the mal aborbsion and also get rid of my diabetes. I know a bit about ARNY becuse when I had the band I did a lot of researh, but I hear now about the DS (Duodenal Switch) which is supposed to be even better than RNY, or nore effective, yet more complicated, I would lik help deciding, and your opinons ad advises regarding both surgeries, ccording to what you know, I know we're all not experts, but we have done reearh and I'm a bit confused between the DS and RNY, I don't seem to grasp the "more" benefits with the DS to justify the DS beings so more riskier surgery, but maybe I'm wrong? could you be so kind and give me so answers, or direct me where I can get more ansers and advices?  I would really appreciate it very mcuh. Helena

Bluedog1925
on 7/4/14 1:52 am

As you said, all we can tell you is what we know first hand. The thing is, no one knows you better than you. Everyone can offer up their opinions, but ultimately it will be what's best for you. Search the web on both topics and get as much info as you can. Have you had any discussions with your surgeon? He, she should be able to address your concerns. Your history with eating habits and how you use food will all come into play while you're researching. 

That said, any and all surgeries are risky. It all comes down to you. Good luck.

Helenation
on 7/6/14 12:14 am

Thank you and I'm sorry to take so long to replay, My surgeoun recommended the DS, don't know why, I feel that I could do fine with RNY, but because he recommended DS, I'm getting confsed,  he said the weight loss is more rapid and drastic.

jazzycatz
on 7/4/14 10:43 am - Joppa, MD

Try dsfacts.com there is a lot of information there. With the DS you keep your pyloric valve which means no dumping if I understand it correctly. They will always have some malabsorption which you generally lose most of that with the RNY. They have quite different dietary and supplement requirements. And the supplements are much more important. Not that they aren't with the RNY but DS more so.

quiltpainter
on 7/5/14 8:20 am - CT

You may need to go through the insurance approval again for DS. I may be mistaken but I thought most drs did the DS surgery on people a lot more obese than you currently are. 

Helenation
on 7/6/14 12:18 am

I thought the same, I know people that did the RNY with  60 BMI and they still lost most of the weight and did great, so that's why I'm confused.

Helenation
on 7/6/14 12:16 am

I will try that website, thank you very much. THe more info I get the best, The amount of supplements wih the DS are much more and if I could do fine with RNY , then I don't get it and I'm confused

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 771 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 374 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 501 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 171 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 276 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?