New to site and have a few questions...

sarahdiane
on 7/11/14 1:12 am

Good morning everyone! This is my first post here, although I've been stalking the site for about a week :) I don't know all the common abbreviations and slang yet so bear with me. I have a consultation with a bariatric surgeon on Monday. I have been very excited for this appointment and looking forward to a new life.  I have lifelong stomach issues (unrelated to obesity), and just saw my gastroenterologist on Wednesday and informed him of my intentions. Unfortunately, he was dead set against me having surgery. He said I was too young (I'm 32), not "sick enough" (I do not have any comorbidities) and insinuated I wasn't heavy enough (at 5'4" and 245 lbs, I am considered morbidly obese). He made it sound like there are huge risks and many people have significant problems afterwards. I must say he scared me. I had been intending on the RNY but having second thoughts after seeing that doctor. Maybe I should go for a less invasive procedure? Would any of you be willing to share your stories, including the bad and unexpected? Thank you for your help. 

angeleigh
on 7/11/14 1:33 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

For me, I was 32 when I had RNY, had only been obese since 2002. I had PCOS which isnt a co morbidity, but the weight didnt help it at all. when I went for my first appointment to start the process, I was told that I wasnt heavy enough based on my insurances requirements, So i went back 6 months later. My highest weight was 274, and that was with taking 2000 mg of Metformin a day (which made me very sick, everything I eat ran through me with in an hour of eating it). So when they told Me i wasnt heavy enough at 228, I went off my metformin and gained 30 pounds pretty quick. I did this while under my PCP, they where keeping track of my blood sugar levels. But while on the meds I didnt tend to gain to much weight 1-2 pounds here and there, but I couldnt for anything lose more then what I already had.

So i had RNY in Sep 2012, by sep 2013 I had lost 90% of my weight. Now at almost 22 months post op, I dont have any big issues. I cant eat bananas for I get sick from the sugar in them, I can handle half of one. I dont eat more then 20 grams of sugar at one time, which isnt a big deal to me. I can have 1 small piece of cake and not the whole cake, that I am ok with. I havent had any medical issues. I dont take any prescribed meds now other then Thyroid meds, which I have had to have adjusted a few times.

Knowing one big thing about RNY is watching what you eat will be a life long thing, you can gain the weight back if you dont. Vitamins are something you have to do 4 times a day. But all of that is minor stuff to me. I go for 4-7 mile bike rides with my teenager, run 3miles every other day, can hike at the mountains and not be dying most of the time. I wish I had done it sooner, I got my full life back. I cant wait till later in the summer to go to the theme park and ride on the rides again.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

sarahdiane
on 7/11/14 1:44 am

Thank you so much for replying. I should also mention that I have hypothyroidism (since age 12) and I know all about thyroid levels and adjusting Synthroid. My weight problem began around 5th grade so I have had this battle for many years now. I would say I used to have awful eating habits when I was younger, but in the last several years I have completely revamped my diet. I love veggies, I no longer binge on junk food, and have tried all kinds of tricks to reduce portions and make my foods healthier. I don't feel like I have a problem gaining weight any longer, but I am certainly having a problem losing it! But I do feel like the diet post-surgery is something I can live with fairly easily. I'm also pretty active but I would love to be able to be as active as you are! I dream of becoming a runner. I'm glad to know that you have had no serious complications and are doing well. That makes me feel like my doctor may have a skewed idea of this surgery. 

angeleigh
on 7/11/14 1:51 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

You tend to hear more from people who had issues then you do from all the others who had no issues. Issues happen, nothing you can do about it, but you just keep following your plan. The biggest thing to look at are the issues that could happen worth not doing something that could be great? Anything you do in life could cause you to die, walking out your front door, staying at home to much, staying over weight for the next 20 years. Is worrying about the possible issues worth the stress when the possible issues of not losing the weight are higher?

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

sarahdiane
on 7/11/14 8:16 am

You're right! I don't have high blood pressure, diabetes, or any other weight related problems. I have been very lucky, but I know it's only a matter of time before I do develop serious conditions. And by that time, surgery would be riskier for me. 

Jenn S.
on 7/11/14 2:17 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

My PCP was not supportive of me wanting to have RNY.  I had already done all the research so when she tried to scare me with all the horror stories I knew that those stories were not the norm.  I've had to find another primary care provider because I can't see someone who doesn't have the same health goals that I do. She said she didn't believe in weight loss surgery and felt it was too dangerous and tried to tell me I could die. I have had no complications and am a month post-op.  I am 5'4" and weighed 232 when I had surgery so I think as far as your doctor saying you are not heavy enough sounds like he's just trying to discourage you. I had high blood pressure and was able to stop taking meds immediately before I even went home. That was worth the surgery right there.

I know there are others who have had more eventful surgeries and recoveries than I did, but I would bet most of them do not regret the surgery. It's a major life changing thing so it's not going to be easy. The first couple weeks were draining and frustrating but as the weight comes off. However, it is so worth a few frustrating weeks to be healthy in the end. Make sure to talk to your primary doctor and to the surgeon before making your decision. 

sarahdiane
on 7/11/14 5:28 am

Thank you both! What were your recovery times like? I have a very easy job physically, mostly computer work from home. I do have to be out and about 2 days a week though. Were you laid up for awhile after your surgery? Or could you get around within a few days? I'm hoping to take no more than a few days off from work. Also, did either of you experience hair loss? I've had some thinning hair as it is lately, and am a little afraid of how much worse it would get. 

eringudge
on 7/11/14 5:36 am
RNY on 07/28/14

My office requires a minimum two week leave from work, if you have a physical job, it's four weeks. I cannot drive for a week after surgery, cannot lift anything over 10 pounds for four weeks after surgery. 

Hair loss happens to most people after this surgery, but it is temporary and the hair grows back. 

This is a major medical procedure, obviously, and a great place to start is at an informational seminar at your surgical facility if they offer one. OH is a great tool, but your surgeon will be able to address a lot of your concerns during the seminar and first meet.

sarahdiane
on 7/11/14 8:29 am

I did attend a seminar but they didn't go too in-depth about what to expect afterwards. I will see my surgeon Monday, but I know he will convince me that it's a good idea. With one doctor for it and one doctor against it, I thought I should hear about experiences from people that have actually been there. But of course, everyone's advice here is only helping me to find what's best for me, not taking the place of medical advice from a doctor :)

Jenn S.
on 7/11/14 5:41 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

You are up and around immediately.  They had me walking within a few hours after surgery and I haven't stopped.  Of course I slept a lot in between the first few days but I was up and around just fine.  I had my surgery on the 16th and a week later I started working from home for 4 hours a day.  At two weeks post op I was back in the office working my regular schedule.  You will probably still be tired after going back to work, just listen to your body.  Let other people help when they ask what you need, and just take care of yourself. I had people doing chores and my neighbor just out of the blue has been mowing my lawn for the past few weeks.  

I took pain meds in the hospital but when I got home I didn't really need them. Yes I was sore, but nothing that required me to take pain meds every four hours. Some people need them a little longer but that's what they are for. The biggest issues I've had post-op were more related to diet than the surgery.  The protein shakes get boring, and after awhile you really just want to chew something crunchy. In addition the chewable vitamins get kind of gross.  These inconveniences are well worth it as I have already had several NSV's related to fitting into my clothes that I haven't worn in a long time, to being able to walk and go up stairs without being out of breath.  I have not started losing my hair yet but I anticipate it will happen in the next few months.  It's part of the deal but it is temporary and I'm told it grows back.  I'm okay with it if it means I continue losing weight and continue to get healthier. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 456 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 401 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views
Forum Search Error & 404