So after six years I'm FINALLY gonna...

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/14/14 2:44 am - Baltimore, MD

...start looking into plastic surgery. Not sure what's held me back BUT I think now is a good time. I have held steady (although I bounced) for about three years now and I do have lots of extra skin.

My priority is my chest/arms. In my head I think I can get approved for a breast reduction through my insurance (in my HEAD I have big enough breasts - and enough mass in them - to qualify lol) and then also brachioplasty.

So obviously the first step is the consult. For those who have gone through this, what should I expect to happen there? What questions should I ask? How far ahead of your planned surgery should you even do a consult? Also, if someone doesn't mind speaking about the financing options that they've encountered (even if it's not the one you went with).

I just want to hear as much about the logistics of this as possible. The logistics are the main thing holding me back at this point. When I get stuck on something, information is the best way for me to get un-stuck.

Thanks for your help!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Laura in Texas
on 7/14/14 4:45 am

Ask where the surgeon places the incisions. Mine are in the middle of my inner arm. Some place them at the back of the arm, but when they are there they are always visible from behind. i did not want that. Find out of the stitches stay in or if they are removed. Mine were removed on day 10 and my incisions instantly widened. Wish I had asked about that.

My surgeon sometimes does financing but does require half up front.

Arms were my favorite surgery. They made the most difference.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

White Dove
on 7/14/14 9:46 am - Warren, OH

The people I know who qualified for breast reduction had big ridges on their shoulders from bra straps cutting in and/or documented rashes under the breasts that had to be treated by a doctor.

For a panniculectomy insurance coverage will depend on how far down it hangs and if it has caused rashes.

At your visit you will probably be asked to strip down, put on a gown and then be examined by the surgeon.  They will discuss options, insurance coverage and usually take pictures.  The pictures are for their before and after files and for insurance submission.

You can also ask to look at before and after pictures of the surgeon's work.  If the practice has a website, those pictures are usually posted there.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Soapy
on 7/14/14 9:52 am
I had brachioplasty and abdominoplasty 4 weeks ago. I had tape on my arms. In the arm pit I did have staples that were removed after a week. I scheduled a consult. Initially had vitals taken. Then pictures of body.the doctor had seen pictures before he came in. I stood naked in front of him and we discussed options. I was then given a price, I was self pay so did not have to mess with insurance. My consult fee went towards my surgery fee. Surgery fee included 6 month follow up. I had my surgery at a surgery clinic not a hospital and was not required to stay overnight, however, since I lived an hour away I was required to stay in local hospital and was seen for follow up the next day. The only pre surgery test I had to do was blood work and EKG. It only took a few weeks to get me scheduled. I was back at work in three weeks. Hope this helps!

Soapy
on 7/14/14 9:55 am
I stayed in local hotel overnight not hospital

Sherrie P.
on 7/14/14 11:00 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Mind if I ask how long you were off work?  

Thanks!

Sherrie

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Soapy
on 7/14/14 11:40 pm
I was out of work for three weeks.

Sherrie P.
on 7/14/14 11:04 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Be prepared to bare all and have all your jiggly bits poked, prodded and lifted.  

I am scheduled for 8/28 and am all out of pocket.

Ask about incision location. My surgeon likes to do them behind the arm, but he is going to do my on the inside like what Laura described.  I am having a mastopexy as well, but my boobies are TINY -- according to the surgeon, I have to have them lifted before I can have them enlarged. That is my next step.

Ask about what all is included -- follow up/compression garments, etc.

Keep us posted!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

kisersassy
on 7/14/14 11:14 am - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12

I am scheduled for in the morning to have an Fleur De Lis Abdominoplasty , panniculectomy, mons repair,and rectis repair.  Insurance is paying 100% of it.  I plan to do the arms and breast reduction next.  I do have grooves on shoulders from bra straps and rashes on my arms.  I am hoping they will pay for the arms, i know they will the breast. I am 21 months post op RNY and lost 100 pounds.  I never lost anything from my boobs so I am thankful that I will not have to get implants for them

siberiancat
on 7/15/14 4:53 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I went to an Obesity Help Conference and met (only 15 minutes appointment) with some plastic surgeons at the conference that specialized in body sculpting after massive weight loss.  I think it is important that a majority of their patients are weight loss patients and not just face lifts, nose jobs, etc.

I chose a plastic surgeon in Detroit - a 4 hour drive (one way) for me.  His name was Ayoub Sayeg.  I had a fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty and brachioplasty at the same time.  My arm incisions go through my armpit to just past the elbow.  The incision faces my body - so it is not seen unless you hold up your arms.  I had compression garments the first month or so.  At three years out I have minimal scaring.

My insurance would not pay - so I "cashed out" a retirement account from a previous job to pay for my plastics.

I would also recommend you post your question on the Plastics forum, if you haven't done so.  Nice to hear from you, Nik.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 515 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 431 views