Protein - Conflicting Advice - What Would You Do?

Happy78
on 7/14/14 5:50 pm

My nutritionist said I do not need any more than 50-60 grams of protein a day and that I should now be getting it all through solid food - no protein shakes. So I am getting about 55 grams of protein through the dietician eating plan. I am stalled on the weight loss and it seems everyone gets a lot more protein then what I was told to intake. If you were me would you increase your protein? The only way I can figure out how to get more in is supplementing with a protein shake. I just think 50 grams of protein seems low based on all the threads I have read....

MickeyDee
on 7/14/14 6:24 pm

How far out of surgery are you?  That can make a difference simply due to your limited intake availability.

For myself, I tried to do 75 grams/daily, and I found that protein shakes made that very easy.  

You may simply be in your post-op stall, which is normal at about 3 or 4 weeks.  If so, then just carry on with learning to eat properly, walking, and drinking all the water you need.

Oh, yeah, stay off the scale.  Turn it into a boat anchor or a plant stand or something useful.

If you feel like you could easily do 75 grams, I don't see what danger that would present.

There's a lot of personal experimentation that goes into our lives now. 

Happy78
on 7/14/14 8:30 pm

I will be 5 weeks out tommorrow. My doctor's plan has me on solid foods now and the nutritionist was adamant I should be getting all protein through food and not shakes, but I don't think I agree with her. My weight really hasn't changed in 3 weeks so I am getting frustrated right now.

chulbert
on 7/14/14 10:28 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

60g per day from real food is exactly what my surgeon/dietician recommends.

The weight loss community can get really carried away with the whole protein thing but the truth is we don't really need a ton.  Some people feel that eating extra protein helps control their appetite but I certainly wouldn't add protein to break a stall -- that just makes no sense.  If you're truly stalled for more than 3 weeks the hard truth is you're almost certainly eating more than you think (or want to admit).

SkinnyScientist
on 7/14/14 10:56 pm

My surgeon's previous dietician did not give me a protein target.  Basically a list of foods week by week. Since I am now 6 months out, I am to be trying a variety of foods.  I will be seeing the new dietician this week and will be asking her about "hard numbers"

Since I know I have PCOS (diagnosed), I have been eating low carb and low glycemic index carbs (if a carb DOES sneak in). So for me at 6 months it is pretty much 1/4 cup protein (i.e. a lean meat and 1/4 cup low carb veg) at every meal.  I think I am doing ok!  I placed in the top 5 in a biggest loser competition at my gym and now have lost 81 lbs (I started at 270).

My surgeons office biggest worry appears to be with vitamins.  They have checked my blood work several times and remind me to take my vitamins repeatedly. I am religious about my vitamins but they state that a lot of patients arent. 

You want to take you vitamins. My cousins wife didnt take any after her RNY because "she felt great" and didnt want to spend the money on them. Then she started to get neurologic things like forgetfulness (she refers to it as her alzheimers...not funny I know).  And at one point got into her car to drive, looked down at the gear shift and "forgot" what the letters meant and what gear she was supposed to go into (e.g. D=drive; R= reverse).

So...take you vitamins

Skinny

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Ladytazz
on 7/15/14 3:55 am, edited 7/15/14 3:56 am

From early out my protein goal has always been at least 100 grams a day.  To get that I have to have at least one and usually two protein drinks a day.  

No biggie, I have a protein coffee, or frappe, for breakfast and another shake later in the day.

My doctor's office has given me some advice that I don't agree with, such as taking Flintstone vitamins.  I use information I have gathered, a lot from here, and common sense, and do what I feel is right.  I just smile and nod, and do what I want to do.  As long as it isn't dangerous, obviously.  If someone says jumping off the roof is part of their post op routine of course I wouldn't do it.

Bottom line is, it's my body and I need to do what I feel is best.  If you read here long enough you will see many different recommendations from different doctors.  So, unless it is ridiculous (like, to me, Flintstone vitamins) I follow what works best for me.  I don't argue with my doctor or anyone else, I just do what works best for me.

By the way, even after nearly 4 years of at least 100 grams of protein a day, my total protein and albumin have always stayed at the bottom range in my lab tests.  My latest test showed my total protein at 6.9 with the normal range being 6.8-8.2 and my albumin is 3.8, with the normal range being 3.5-4.7, so if I only got 60 grams of protein a day, which my doctor's office recommends, I would be in real trouble.  I need more protein, not less.  These numbers have been consistent but I still would like to get them higher.

Bottom line, your labs with tell you what you need.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/14 4:18 am
RNY on 12/16/13

I am 7 months out from my surgery and consumer 90 - 100 grams of protein per day.  I drink two protein shakes per day (23 grams/100 calories).  I also consume additional protein by drinking milk (1%) and eating greek yogurt.  My nutritionist set my minimum protein consumption at 64 grams.  While the ideal is to consume protein from food, I would not be able to eat enough to get in 90 - 100 grams a day. I also consider my protein shakes to be "food." I also find that my weight loss is greater and more even, if I am on the higher end of my protein intake. 

siberiancat
on 7/15/14 4:42 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

My program recommends 80 gm protein a day.  I'm over 5 years post RNY and I can't eat enough solid food to get that much protein - so I always have at least one whey isolate protein powder serving a day - usually a protein latte for breakfast.  Some days I have 2 whey isolate servings - either ready to drink or protein powder to get in the minimum.  My blood tests always have me at low normal.

I would like to get protein from solid food but my "grouchy" pouch just won't let me - no biggie.  I'm at goal weight and healthy, so I do what works for me.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

theladyelsie
on 7/15/14 5:00 am
VSG on 08/06/13

For where I am at and my activity level (I exercise quite a bit) my NUT recommends 80-100 grams of protein per day for me.  The standard where I started was I believe 60 - 80 grams per day.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/15/14 6:13 am

It is still early days for your and also prime stall time for you. I vehemently disagree with the comment that if you stall for more than three weeks you are probably eating too much. If you are eating protein forward at your stage, then non starchy veggies, you will find it very difficult to eat much.

I have no trouble at all getting all my protein from eating, but I am almost three years out. You will be able to eat more over time. I was glad to get off the three week liquid phase I had to endure. Even if I didn't get all of my protein at first from food, I just kept working toward that goal.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views