5 Day Pouch Test

chickzero1
on 7/14/14 10:51 am - Bossier City, LA

Hi all,

It has been a while since I have posted on here...I hate that I have slacked off on reading this site, it was such a help after having surgery. I will be 2 years post op in Oct. I have gained some weight back. About 12 pounds to be exact. I notice my clothes are a somewhat tight and I need to get a handle on this NOW, and not let it get to be 20, 30 or 50 pounds out of hand. I would love to hear from those who have done the 5 DPT, to see what worked for them and any advice they would like to share. 

I won't make excuses for gaining the weight. I went back to school full time to get my masters and I study late at night...those cheez-its will get you every time. 

Any advice or encouraging words would be great! Thank you. 

LiViAnN_mommy
on 7/14/14 3:09 pm - Citrus heights, CA

Best advice I could give you is don't waste your time. I tried to do it a few times and it really isn't very helpful. Just go back to the beganing, back to basics. Drink your water and not soda, focus on your protein and stay away from "bad" carbs  and get your body moving. Good for you for realizing your regain now rather than 40 like myself. You got this! 

jefferytmc
on 7/15/14 12:06 am

I have not done this specifically, but I get the concept.  The issue is likely that at 2 yrs post op, that if you just try to live off of liquids for 5 days, you will end up very hungry and are even more likely to over eat.

So as was suggested, get back to basics.  Protein first, lots of water, only good carbs like fruits and veggies, move more.  It might not be as fast as the other, but what the liquid diet will do is just cause you to lose a lot of water weight due to the way your body processes things and then if you start eating carbs again, you will add it back.

So quit eating the cheezeits and do what you know you need to do.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

MindyMac51
on 7/15/14 12:34 pm

A correction -- FDPT is not 5 days of liquids, but 5 days of protein: 2 days of liquid protein (shakes, soups, sugar free jello and pudding); 1 day of soft protein (eggs, fish, etc.); 1 day of firm protein (ground meat, shellfish, salmon, etc.); 1 day of solid protein (poultry, steak, pork, etc.). Yes it is limited, but it definitely helped me get over carb cravings and get back on track. I was not tempted at all to overeat after the 5 days. Two weeks later, very much on track with a hi-protein low-carb diet. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/14 4:27 am
RNY on 12/16/13

You've got this!  As others have mentioned, focus on the basics - protein, veggies, fruit, and water, along with exercise. Find something else to snack on :-)

MindyMac51
on 7/15/14 10:40 am

Some people describe the FDPT as a crash diet and reject it as useless. I don't. I'm an enthusiastic supporter. For me it's been very helpful as a "5 day Restart Plan." I followed the plan the last 5 days of June and have been strictly back to basics with diet, exercise, reading the boards at OH and MFP and diary keeping with MFP every day since. I've dropped 7 pounds since June 26, but more important, I've regained my commitment and motivation, overcome the craving for carbs, and kept to the diet and exercise I should have been following all along. I really don't think I could have gotten back on track so quickly without it. 

RNY 11/2/10

HW 280; SW 260; LW post-surgery 182 Oct. 2011

Maintained 1 year, regained 38 lbs. over 18 mos. Nov 2012-June 2014 

5 Day Pouch Test 6/26-30/2014 RG (Regain weight) 220

CW 213, GW 170

The 5 day plan is not for everybody, but it can be a valuable tool to quick-start motivation and commitment, especially for those of us who have been eating too many carbs and need to get BACK TO BASICS.  It really helped to get me back on track with enthusiasm and motivation. Good luck to you, whatever path you choose. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 526 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 328 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 31 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?