Wedding planning hell-potatoes are everywhere!

SkinnyScientist
on 7/18/14 12:01 am

Hi all,

I just had my six month follow up with the surgeons office and they are pleased with my progress! I am ahead of schedule. They told me to start thinking about what my "goal weight" will be.

While that is exciting, part of my success is not filling my pouch with stupid "junky" food-like potatoes.  I am now planning my menu for my wedding reception and all the non-potato vegetables ARE GREEN!  Ordinarily, I recognize that NO ONE WOULD DIE if TWO GREEN vegetables ended up on a plate. However, since this is my wedding, I would like to present "a pretty plate." And that requires a vegetable that is NOT GREEN. I refuse to put a potato on the plates since: a) I am bank rolling this wedding and if I cant eat 1/3 of my plate-then why did I pay for it, b) potatos are cheap food and c) they really dont help my or anyone elses waistlines.

I cant believe I am going to have negiotate for carrots, roasted radishes, beets, cauliflower, summer squash, acorn squash or red peppers.  One would think that an assortment of veggies would be on a menu!!!

L

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

diane48
on 7/18/14 1:25 am
RNY on 05/07/13

How about a mashed cauliflower or butternut squash?  That may not be that too difficult for the caterers and may seem more like a starch for the guests.

hl1524
on 7/18/14 2:18 am - Austin, TX

I feel your pain.  I too am planning a wedding in the midst of planning for my surgery.  After months of jumping through  hoops I finally have a surgery date.  I'm very thankful that I will have enough time between now and the wedding to adjust.  You are right about potatoes being everywhere not to mention the sweets.  Good  luck!  The caterer that we had selected has been very accommodating to requests even for things not on their standard menu.  Hopefully you can come up with something creative that you will enjoy.  

SkinnyScientist
on 7/18/14 5:32 am

They arent on the cater list. Therefore, I am to negiotiate for them. Trust me, I would pick them if they were on the list in which to pick from!

That is what is so annoying. The good veggies arent on there, but they have potatoes in various forms, listed 8 different times.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

MyLady Heidi
on 7/18/14 3:11 am

Potatoes are fine, its all the fattening crap you load on top that is bad for you, eat yours plain and let the rest of the world enjoy some spuds.  They look pretty double baked and piped onto the plate. 

chulbert
on 7/18/14 3:29 am, edited 7/18/14 3:29 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I strongly agree with this.  None of us got fat on too many plain potatoes -- it was the butter, cheese, salt, milk, and sour cream slathered on top and oil in which they were fried that added calories and made them hard to resist.

That said, consider sweet potatoes?

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/18/14 4:32 am - Baltimore, MD

My stepbrother got married and had a lovely dish set atop grits. Which yes are still a starch but I thought that was pretty. I went to the tasting with them and they also offered a mixture of wheatberries with some sort of flavoring but the bride didn't like the texture of the wheatberries. I'm not sure if the caterer would also consider quinoa. That can be more expensive. 

Although I do agree with the general sentiment about potatoes. Have them roasted in minimal olive oil with herbs and spices and make sure folks have adequate access to salt shakers! I think it'll be fine. If you absolutely want to avoid potatoes roasted cauliflower is also divine. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

White Dove
on 7/18/14 5:02 am - Warren, OH

My family is Irish and Italian and not having potatoes or pasta at a wedding would be unacceptable. 

Your guests did not have weight loss surgery and should not be punished with roasted vegetables instead of potatoes.  And most of them will consider it punishment.  You are paying for the food, but they will be giving gifts of money and consider that they are going to get an enjoyable meal out of the deal.

Weddings are not an occasion to enforce food police rules.  Why serve a menu that will not be enjoyed or appreciated?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/18/14 6:25 am - Baltimore, MD

Punished with roasted vegetables? Really?

I mean I get what you're saying but I would hardly call roasted veggies punishment! I also think the menu should reflect the bride and groom. I can understand how she wants a menu that reflects who she is and how she eats. Like my SIL doesn't like tomatoes, so she "punished" us by having bruschetta made with roasted red peppers instead. It's her wedding!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

White Dove
on 7/18/14 6:55 am - Warren, OH

I am not talking about myself.  I am talking about Irishmen from Ireland and Italians from Italy.  They would feel punished if served roasted vegetables instead of their beloved potatoes and rigatoni.  I know because I have tried that.  I skip the starches and love when there is something like roasted vegetables as a choice.

I have also worked at catering weddings.  A smart caterer puts the potatoes and pasta first and hopes guests fill up their plates on the cheap foods before getting to expensive meat choices.  It is amazing how much food some people will eat, even the skinny ones.  Some of them carry Tupperware in their purses and fill containers up, then come back for seconds and thirds.  Potatoes and pasta can help you from running out of food.  Most people will enjoy them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views