Question about liver shrink diet (my surgery is in 5 days)

RRach
on 7/18/14 2:06 am

My weight fluctuates really bad but I am not sure why. My last weigh in at the doctor was 404 lbs (I had dropped 26 lbs) but now I am up to 414. I find it hard to believe I have gained 10 lbs worth of muscle. Before anyone asks, I have not cheated on my liver shrink diet one bit. 

On the day of surgery, I assume they will be weighing me. I am positive my liver has shrunk because I have followed the diet to a T. I was worried it wasn't before but I have watched many youtube videos and read many forum posts to know that as long as I don't cheat my liver will be okay. But if they weigh me and see I have gone up 10 lbs, will they cancel my surgery?

I think my menstrual cycle may be trying to start. It hasn't started but I think it is trying to and maybe that is the cause of why the sudden increase? 

What do you think?

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

poet_kelly
on 7/18/14 2:53 am - OH

Some docs insist you don't gain anything before surgery, others don't.  If you're not sure about yours, I would call the office and ask.  Mine did not care if I lost or gained in the weeks before surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jenorama
on 7/18/14 4:37 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

If it came up that quick, AND your cycle is starting, it's probably water.  It takes a while and a lot of work to add that amount of muscle weight.  :D  Probably not a bad idea to contact your doc and get a pro opinion, but I'm guessing it'll come off pretty quick if you stick with your diet.  

I had to do 2 days of liquid.  My weigh-in the week before surgery was 348 and the weigh in morning of was 328, so I would hazard to say that you should likely be okay since you have 5 more days of the liquids.  

Keep us posted!

Jen

cspotrun
on 7/18/14 7:49 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I didn't get weighed the day of surgery and my doctor didn't care if I gained or lost.   Probably a good idea to ask at the doctor's office though. We are encouraged to email our nurse and she gets right back to us. Very helpful with these types of questions. 

Karen   

Laura in Texas
on 7/18/14 10:23 pm

I would also check with your surgeon's office. Once I had my last pre-op appointment and the surgery was scheduled, I was good to go.

The issue for some who are SMO and do not follow the liver-shrinking diet is that once the surgeon gets in there, if they cannot see around the liver, some do open surgery instead so they can see better.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 408 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 276 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 298 views