Are there any foods I won't be able to eat ever again?

Blueeyednikki
on 7/20/14 10:28 am - Canada

I've decided to go forward with RNY surgery.  That said, will there be any foods that I will never be able to eat again?  I'm ok with this being the case but I'm trying to get my head in a good place.  

And thank you to all of those post-op people who share not only their successes but also their struggles.  It means a lot.

Nickeliz
on 7/20/14 11:00 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 06/18/13

I'm only 13 months out, but I haven't found anything yet that I couldn't have at least one bite of if I really wanted it. I might be able to have more, but have worried about the consequences of more than one bite (like for sweets) so am able to stop myself. Also there are some foods such as SmartFood popcorn or cheezits that I really shouldn't have around because I know they are trigger foods for me. One thing I love about RNY is not that I "can't" have something, but at least for now,  I just don't want things that don't help me get where I'm going. 

Braceface
on 7/20/14 11:02 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

People vary but most likely you will be able to eat everything that you ate prior to surgery. The big difference is that the volume you can eat will be greatly reduced. 

Angela B.
on 7/20/14 11:39 am

Hmmm well before surgery, my kryptonite was candy and cupcakes. Six months after I had 3 bites of a family member's cake at dinner and dumped afterwards. Could I try it again? Probably. But my mind will not let me forget how terrible I felt. I love RNY for that fact. I have a family member with VSG that eats ice cream every night. She tells me she wishes she had done RNY for that "shock treatment" to keep her away from it lol

HW: 273 SW: 255 CW: 134.4 GW: 120       RNY 11/4/2013 

Sherrie P.
on 7/20/14 12:18 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

There is no real way to know. 30% of us dump. Some have food aversions.. it depends on the person. In the early days you won't be able to tolerate much - but as your pouch heals and times goes by both the volume you can consume and the variety will increase.  I certainly would not worry about food funerals. You will more than likely be able to have a little of just about anything. I can eat 2-3 Milk duds at a time; which is a heck of a lot better than the entire box.  

Good luck!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

selhard
on 7/20/14 12:33 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

...never be able to eat again?  as in physically unable?  or what we are instructed to avoid?  Guessing you mean physically unable so I will answer by my experiences.  First, I avoid soda pop, pasta, potatoes, breads, white rice, cold cereal, and sugary/salty processed snack foods and drinks. I have not experienced any food impossible to eat but here are some foods that cause considerable discomfort in my pouch no matter how well I chew:  Triscuit crackers, raw carrots, many breads, dry meat, and especially rice.

april89love
on 7/20/14 1:25 pm - NC

I can't handle regular pasta any more. Instead I use gluten free rice pasta (with a MEATY sauce). :)

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Blueeyednikki
on 7/21/14 2:51 am - Canada

I had the impression that certain foods were off the table...i.e. nuts, seeds, celery, corn etc.  

Thanks everyone!  This is why I love this website.

Eggface
on 7/21/14 5:13 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Not a whole lot I couldn't eat if I wanted to... some foods I have personally chosen not to allow back in my life since having WLS 8 years ago http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2011/03/rambl ings.html It's amazing when your body is purged of certain foods, the craving for them rarely happens now but I certainly could eat them physically. Good for you for getting your head in a good space... it's the most important part of WLS IMHO. 

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

HFA70
on 7/21/14 6:32 am

Like the others said, you may have restrictions to food.  I cannot do rice, bread or pasta.  I choose not do eat trigger snacks, such as chips.  I will on occasion indulge in something sweet, but my tolerance for sugar is low, I don't dump, but cannot stand the sweetness.

Good luck in your journey!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 285 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views