Family Dinners....

Judi2
on 7/24/14 4:48 am
RNY on 12/08/14

How do you all handle when you go out with your family or friends to eat? I haven't had my surgery yet but am nervous that I may be sitting at the table watching everyone eat.

Sarahakers11
on 7/24/14 4:58 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

You will be surprised!  I didnt have the same hunger issues or anything else and by the time I could eat out I didnt have the same cravings or desire for food.  I found that I dont even care about appetizers and I typically order an appetizer as the meal if htey have one thats not just fried crap. Otherwise I get a salad or an entree with meat and veggies and put most of it in a to go box.  TGIF has a ahi tuna appetizer that is great!  While I was in pre-op and liquid stage and really early stages (probably about 3 months out) I didnt go out to restaurants but my family and friends didnt put me in that situation either. We would eat at home or they would eat before we did something else and I would meet them! 

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Karen M.
on 7/24/14 8:20 am - Mississauga, Canada

I couldn't care less what other people at the table are eating. I order what's suitable for me, eat what I can, and enjoy the company.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Gwen M.
on 7/24/14 5:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

One of my guidelines is to work on making my tiny meals last as long as my dining companions' normal sized meals.  So I work on eating REALLY slowly.  

Eating with people has been surprisingly easy.  I focus on the good conversation and have a great time.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Racewalker48
on 7/24/14 5:09 am, edited 7/24/14 8:25 am
RNY on 02/17/14

During family dinners, I put my teeny tiny portions on my plate and eat with everyone else.  I don't sweat it.  My family know I can only eat but so much, so they don't sweat it either.

HFA70
on 7/24/14 5:21 am

Like everything else, you will adjust and find what works for you.  I usually order two appetizers for my meal and pick at both. 

selhard
on 7/24/14 5:48 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Eating with family or eating out with friends turns into a non-issue really fast and easy.  My husband was nervous eating in front of me a total of one whole week after WLS if even that!  It bothered me the first few weeks but was easy to adjust, as well.  Trust me, hardly no one pays attention if you make a glass of water last all evening or if you eat a couple bites of food.  All you have to do is sit back and enjoy visiting and not focusing on the food ever again.  Amen.

poet_kelly
on 7/24/14 5:55 am - OH

Why would you jus****ch everyone eat?

I order something appropriate for me and I eat an appropriate portion.  I usually take home my leftovers.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

karenp8
on 7/24/14 6:19 am - Brighton, IL

Eating out with family and friends is not an issue at all. Sometimes I share an entree with my husband and sometimes I order my own meal. If I get my own meal I ask the waitress to bring a to go box with my food. Then I keep my one cup of food on my plate and go ahead and box the rest up. By the time I chew carefully and spend time talking I finish at nearly the same time. I still love going out to eat and have never had a problem.

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/14 6:19 am

It is pretty easy.I think the anticipation is worse then going out.I went out my first week after surgery and I really didn't want to go.I am a very social person so I needed to get out of the house.

You learn to go through the menu before you go out.I have only tried new things once when I went out and not a good idea. If you stick to protein and just sitting drinking your water. Not together I will add.I always bring the Crystal light packets so I have something with flavor. 

Now we go out at least once to two times a week and I can navigate pretty well.It gets easier. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics