What do you do for pain, RNYers??

Karen H.
on 7/29/14 5:09 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I understand once you have the RNY surgery, your body cannot absorb pain medications, even the over the counter types, like excedrin migraine for headaches. My question is for those of you who have had the RNY, what do you do if you have a terrible headache? Or if you have aches in your body? What do you do or take? Thanks in advance.

Nola68
on 7/29/14 5:16 am

My doctor told me to take tylenol, not to take anything with aspirin in it.  In the hospital they gave me 2 extra strength tylenol for me and it seemed to work.  I am 1 week out today, I have been lucky that I have not had to take a lot for pain either the last day in the hospital or since I've been home.  Good luck.

67 Years old - HW 252 - SW 231 - CW 149 - GOAL 145  RNY 7/22/2014

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/14 5:29 am, edited 7/29/14 5:34 am

If I get a bad headache I get a hot shower.Or I put a bag of frozen peas on my head. The other day I had work done at the dentist and was in a lot of pain.But I just sucked it up.

I do take Tylenol sometimes.

Robin3174
on 7/29/14 5:47 am - CA
RNY on 02/13/14

Depends on the pain.  If it's just a headache, muscle aches, etc.. I take tylenol.  Now I tore my knee up and I'm scheduled for surgery.  This sort of pain (which is severe) warrants the liquid Hydrocodone the doctor prescribed.  Basically if you have severe enoug pain you will be given a type of narcotic.  Otherwise take the Tylenol.  If you really want to know, call your doctor and ask him.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/29/14 6:15 am

We absorb things - sometimes too well and too fast. 

We can take Tylenol or narcotics. ( narco, lortab, etc) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

katefitzcap
on 7/29/14 12:43 pm
RNY on 02/03/14

I usually take 1 ibuprofen. I don't get aches/pains/headaches quite as often as i did before surgery. if a headache comes reeeeal bad, i'll take 2 ibuprofen. but i also have to be careful as well because i am on blood thinner the rest of my life. i get a headache once every few  months now. before RNY i got headaches a few times per WEEK. hope this helped. and yes...try a hot shower, too :)

Jenn S.
on 7/29/14 12:53 pm - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

Interesting that you take ibuprofen. Is that recommended by your surgeon?

poet_kelly
on 7/29/14 1:42 pm - OH

Your understanding is incorrect.  We CAN absorb pain medications, including over the counter types. 

However, the ASMBS recommends we avoid NSAIDS, including excedrin, due to the risk of ulcers.  We can use Tylenol, though.

We can also absorb prescription pain meds like Tramadol, Vicodin and Percocet.

Who told you we could not absorb pain meds?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Karen H.
on 7/29/14 11:01 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

No one told me you could not take any pain meds. I "was" told you could not take any NSAIDs. I did not know there were any more options for pain meds. I "do" know since I posted this. I am learning thats to all of your reposes. I plan on having the RNY in the next few months. I will talk to the doctor on my next visit of my options as well. The site is wonderful! I have learned "so" much. Any information or suggestions I can get on this topic is much appreciated!! Thank you all!!

Bibo
on 7/29/14 2:22 pm

There is a genetic test available called genesight, which tests your DNA for specifically what kinds of pain meds work best with your body, as well as antidepressants, and folate B9.......it's covered by medicare for free and most private insurances pay for it as well...this does NOT show absorption after bypass surgery, rather it shows what works on your specific DNA for pain. I do not genetically process morphine, but I do respond with a low dose of diloted or demerol. I show those results to doctors and it guides what they prescribe. Incidentally, I don't process NSAIDS, even without the surgery, so it's sort of a double reason not to take them. The benefit for me is that I now take a folate medical food, and my other medications get absorbed better. don't need as many pain medications because my body is getting more nutrition. There are also prescription creams, depending on what kind of pain a person has, that are not NSAIDS. Other options like biofeedback, acupunture, TENS units and pain patches can be helpful as well. Check with your doctor. I read an article today about TMJ pain (jaw pain) being related to low magnesium levels. This same article discussed how the physical aspect of chewing harder food as opposed to soft, slider foods, can actually improve concentration and decrease pain by causing the body to be able to focus on things other than pain.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 529 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 461 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 126 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 326 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?