1.5 weeks out and freaking!!

Emilyborders8
on 8/1/14 1:12 am - Germany

I had surgery 1.5 weeks ago. I also had a bit of the flu while still in the hospital. My weight the day of surgery was 238 lbs. I came home five days later at 226! I was ecstatic!! They didn't give me fluids while there and I'm sure I was dehydrated. I weighed in tonight at 234!!! Now I'm really freaking out! I've been GAINING like a pound or two everyday! What is going on!?!?

i drink protein shakes to get in about 70-80 grams of protein and get 64 oz of water daily. I'm at 800 calories a day with 4 200 calorie low carb shakes per day.

please tell me I'm not going to be that girl who couldn't even lose weight with surgery!!

BlackRoseRNY
on 8/1/14 2:19 am
RNY on 03/19/14 with

If you were dehydrated, that's all water weight.  Keep up with your physician and dietician instructions and you should see weight coming off. You are still very early and don't panic!  You will stall and yoyo a bit from time to time but it comes off. it may help if you don't weigh yourself for a couple days so you don't get frustrated. Good luck! 

Emilyborders8
on 8/1/14 4:01 pm - Germany

I wish I had good post op instructions, maybe then I wouldn't freak out so much! The thing is that I'm living in Germany and the language barrier makes things more difficult. I was told liquids  or soft food for four weeks. (I'm sticking to protein shakes) then three days of soft food. Then phase three for life. Real specific, huh?

im trying to find a nutritionist who speaks English, but in the meantime I don't want to do anything wrong! The weight gain makes me nervous. Plus I feel like I went from barely being able to sip water, to feeling like I was back to my old self really way too quickly :(

Emilyborders8
on 8/1/14 4:07 pm - Germany

Thank you!

im so glad I joined OH. I feel like having people to talk to will help minimize my freak outs! I am living in Germany and it's hard not having much support. I can't even communicate well with my surgeon or nutritionist!

sor09
on 8/1/14 9:37 am

Review your rep-op information and remember your vitamins and exercising too. It's for the rest of your life and things do take time.... you will loose the weight if you follow the guidelines.

cspotrun
on 8/1/14 11:51 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I can't believe they didn't give you fluids in the hospital!!  That was my saving grace for sure.  I could barely sip when I came home so I lived off that extra fluid for a few days.  I also gained 8 pounds of fluid while in the hospital.  It came off within a week, and have been losing ever since.  You just put on that weight when you came home, but it's all fluid you lost. You will be fine!

Karen   

NYMom222
on 8/3/14 1:00 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I also am 1.5 weeks out and am freaking out for similar reasons thinking I am the one who is not going to lose the weight. I gained some the last 2 days, what? No! Ack! You are down since the day of surgery, so that is good and as you said you were probably dehydrated. We need to hang in .... we are focused on each day because it is so new. My Doctor's regime went only 3 days at home of full liquid, then add yoghurt, cream soup, SF pudding, farina, next week add cottage cheese and very well chopped/pureed then next week onto normal foods. No raw fruits or veggies for 6-8 weeks. ust to give you an idea. I too feel like I didn't even have surgery....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Emilyborders8
on 8/3/14 1:03 am - Germany

Thank you for responding!! I feel better that I'm not the only one feeling this way!! I'm hoping things turn around for us soon!

Jocelyn F.
on 8/3/14 2:51 am - VA
RNY on 07/28/14

They didn't give you fluids at the hospital?? What the what!

I had surgery 6 days ago, and it took 4 days to get back to the weight I entered the hospital with. I was loaded up with fluids during surgery to the point that my hands, feet and ankles were swollen. My mom says that when I came out of recovery my face was too. Water weighs a lot, but it's necessary. It sounds like you were dehydrated and now your system is evening out. Plus your body is healing. Cut yourself some slack, just follow your diet and keep on your liquids and it will start to come flying off.

Madre524
on 8/10/14 1:14 pm

I am also about 1.5 weeks out and concerned.  So nice to see I'm not the only one!

I had what I thought was the usual difficulties in the hospital, but almost as soon as I came home I could drink anything I was supposed to with ease. No difficulties whatsoever.

Now I'm on soft foods and haven't lost a pound. I have eaten mashed potatoes, poached eggs, toast, mashed up beans with cheese, hummus and crackers.  All without any issues.

I can eat between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of food or more.  I haven't really tested the "more" part, so I don't know.

I don't know what sort of pain I'm supposed to be feeling.

Today I made it through the entire day without a nap. I went to the market. I walked around the block. I played with the dogs.

I am terrified I will not lose weight.  Seriously panicked. This is a last resort and I can't bear the thought of failing at this.

I'm at about 900 calories and 70 grams of protein avg since starting mushy food.

I'm right there with you!!!

Hugs to you my frustrated friend! 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 416 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?