Need some help and encouragement.

jfarside
on 8/30/14 11:14 am
RNY on 09/02/14

So my surgery is Tuesday at 10am have to be there at 6 I started my liquid diet today but am having some anxiety.  I really really want to eat something with some substance to it and all I can have is jello everything else is liquid state grr I know I signed up for this and I know it's only 2 more days but I am so nauseous and my valium isn't helping even the higher does. I kept busy all day and will so tomorrow but I have no energy for anything and I feel like I am going to have a panic attack my husband and kids are understanding but they don't really know what I'm going through or how to help :( I know it will be over soon but it's there here and now that I'm having problems with. 

Surgery 9/02/14 HW 360

angeleigh
on 8/30/14 11:35 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Just remember that nothing you want to eat it worth getting into the OR and having them stop because your liver is to large. They will stop. So just think about that is any food item worth losing all the work you put into having the surgery? Eat Ice, Popsicle, drink more water, stay busy. I know its hard and it sucks but it is so worth it in the long run!

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Braceface
on 8/30/14 11:42 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

Try not to think long term and focus on the moment and take any positives from the situation that you can. For example when I did the liquid diet I had more free time to do what I needed instead of spending a lot of time eating and planning what to eat ;). Also, know that the first few days of the diet are the hardest (I suffered some headaches and loss of concentration) as your body is readjusting to burning protein and no carbs. After the adjustment things will get easier and your hunger levels will decrease. During the last few days you may even find it hard to drink all the protein shakes you are supposed to and may need to get savory liquid proteins to change things up. 

This is is also an opportunity to show yourself how strong and determined  you are. 

I hope that helps and keep in mind where you are going. I went shopping today for trousers and bought 33 inch waist, four months ago it was 40 inches!

jfarside
on 8/30/14 11:55 am
RNY on 09/02/14

Thank you both :) I forgot to add I am eating ice pops but I am not allowed protein drinks only water diluted apple and cranberry juice ginger ale ice pops and clear broth I want to take my psyllium but not sure if I'm allowed I forgot to ask and that fills me up some but the nausea is making me not hungry at the moment so I guess that's good I'm going to try to sleep and tomorrow is going to be spent getting my living room in order for me and Monday is packing for the hotel and hospital I will try not to dwell to much just the anxiety is going to drive me nuts ugh

Surgery 9/02/14 HW 360

poet_kelly
on 8/30/14 12:04 pm - OH

If you are that anxious and your valium isn't helping, you could call your doctor (whoever prescribes the valium) and ask if they can call in something else for anxiety.

Otherwise, how about trying some herbal tea (something like chamomile is good for relaxation and might also help the nausea, or peppermint or ginger teas are really good for nausea) and trying some relaxation exercises?  Maybe focusing on your breathing, or imaging yourself someplace really nice and peaceful (I always do the beach), or progressive relaxation where you tense and then relax one body part at a time.  Journaling about what you're thinking and feeling might help, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jfarside
on 8/30/14 12:18 pm
RNY on 09/02/14

She actually just doubled it because of this lol I feel like a wreck those are some good ideas I found a couple apps that walk you through relaxation techniques that I'm going to try ginger ale usually helps with my nausea but it's not tonight I'll try the mint tea I usually have a peppermint candy to suck on but don't think that's allowed either lol  Thanks for the tips and suggestions :)

Surgery 9/02/14 HW 360

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/14 11:18 pm

Before my surgery I was anxious. I would write down all of the things I would be able to do after I lost weight.How I would feel thinner. Watching garbage tv like the Housewives shows so I wouldn't think about anything that was real.

MickeyDee
on 8/30/14 3:34 pm

I spent the last few hours pre-op going through the Before & After photos!

diane48
on 8/31/14 7:26 am
RNY on 05/07/13

Me too!!!  I couldn't get enough of them.  Even un the pre-op area before surgery.  I thought I was the only one!

Amy R.
on 8/30/14 3:50 pm

Hang in there.  You've already gotten some great responses.  I just wanted to add that there are meds that can be prescribed for nausea.  The newest one is a wonder drug.  It's called Zofran.  Takes care of nausea rapidly and with fewer side effects than the older meds.  Phenergan and Compazine can also be used and these two actually come in suppositories if you have trouble keeping pills down.

Might be worth checking with a weekend clinic doc; to me nausea is absolutely the worst part of any medical issue.  I'd rather hurt than be nauseous.

Anyway, good luck to you and congrats on making the decision to change your life!  You're gonna do great=)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 389 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 3 replies · 13 views
Recent Topics