anorexia???

alexadenitto
on 9/2/14 3:56 am - CT
RNY on 04/08/13

is it possible to become anorexic after surgery and has anyone else experienced this? kind of concerned i was diagnosed by my psychologist and im just worried

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/2/14 4:20 am - OH

Yes, there is a small percentage of people who develop anorexia after WLS, although the etiology of it is a bit different than anorexia not associated with WLS. Usually what happens is that the "high" that someone gets from the weight loss immediately after surgery when they are eating very little results in a type of "addiction" (for purposes of simplification) where the association of not eating and losing weight combines with a strong belief that being "skinny" will result in a happier life (a perfect one, even, in some cases) and the food restriction becomes uncontrollable. 

I am glad to hear that you are getting help because it can be just as insidious a condition after WLS as it is for other people. The most important thing is to focus on losing the weight to be healthy rather than to be skinny. Being skinny and unhealthy is just as miserable as being obese and unhealthy, and the physical damage can be just as serious.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jefferytmc
on 9/2/14 4:25 am

Yes, it is entirely possible.  

First it is an eating disorder that could replace an overeating disorder (not saying you have/had either, just stating that we sometimes replace on disorder with another).

Second, it is possible to have body dysmorphia and not realize just how small one has gotten.

Third, it is definitely possible to get obsessed with not eating and weighing constantly and the other behaviors of an anorexic.

I have a good friend that got really strict on her eating and lost over 100 lbs.  She got to a "normal" weight, but due to lose skin and not being able to see herself properly, was on a dangerous path to becoming anorexic.  She would weigh daily and if she was up even .1, she would skip meals and do other things that could be damaging to her body.  The scale was ruling her life.

I told her my fears and she dismissed them.  She said "There is no way a fat person can become an anorexic.  Especially since I am not rail thin."  But I kept telling her the behaviors were the main concern.

She finally went to a therapist and the therapist confirmed what I had told her and she started taking actions to break those negative patterns.

Knowing is half the battle.  It is when we do not realize behaviors that are dangerous that we have a real problem.

Was anything suggested to combat this?

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

NYMom222
on 9/2/14 9:00 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I think it's complicated because anorexia has 2 parts there is the physical -unhealthy thin- and the mindsets ans actions of not eating. You could become obsessed and not eating even when you still have weight to lose. Then there are people who get "too thin" after weight loss surgery because their bodies haven't stopped losing. From what I understand this usually naturally happens and most people will regain some at that point.

The fact that you are asking the question makes me think you are not convinced of the diagnosis. I think we are all a little obsessed before and after surgery. It's normal for WLS. Does your therapist understand that? My questions for you would be are you keeping a food journal and does your surgeon/nutritionist think your eating is not appropriate? Second, do your thoughts and obsessions interfere in your life? How long has it been going on? Are you lying to others about your actions? Some things to think about that might be red flags.

Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Laura in Texas
on 9/2/14 11:24 am

What did the psychologist base this diagnosis on? Is he familiar with weight loss surgery and the mental roller coaster we are on? Many of us do not even out weight wise or emotionally until 3+ years out. You're 17 months out and as of a month ago you were 160 and said you were not at goal.

According to the Mayo clinic, anorexia is "an eating disorder that causes people to obsess about their weight and the food they eat. People with anorexia nervosa attempt to maintain a weight that's far below normal for their age and height. To prevent weight gain or to continue losing weight, people with anorexia nervosa may starve themselves or exercise excessively.

The part about obsessing on what we eat is pretty common the first few years for most of us.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 230 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views