Advice on protein

LMB221B
on 9/16/14 11:25 am

I had my six month appointment at my surgeon's today. All my numbers were good, but the nurse practitioner asked me how much protein I was getting. I told her that in the last month I've been getting between 80-90 most days, and she told me to back it down to around 60 because I wouldn't lose weight with that much protein. Except that I have been losing weight, and I feel that I need more than 60. What are your thoughts on this ? 

poet_kelly
on 9/16/14 11:36 am - OH

You won't lose weight if you are getting too many calories. Does she think you're getting too many calories?

Also. the ASMBS recommends 1.1 grams protein per kilogram of ideal body weight, which works out to around half a gram per pound of ideal weight.  so according to that, 60 grams would be about right if your ideal weight is 120 lbs.  If your ideal weight is higher than 120, you may need more protein than that.

Finally, did you have labs done yet?  If your total protein and albumin levels are good, then you're getting enough protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LMB221B
on 9/16/14 12:10 pm
On September 16, 2014 at 6:36 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

You won't lose weight if you are getting too many calories. Does she think you're getting too many calories?

Also. the ASMBS recommends 1.1 grams protein per kilogram of ideal body weight, which works out to around half a gram per pound of ideal weight.  so according to that, 60 grams would be about right if your ideal weight is 120 lbs.  If your ideal weight is higher than 120, you may need more protein than that.

Finally, did you have labs done yet?  If your total protein and albumin levels are good, then you're getting enough protein.

She never mentioned calories. In fact, no body at my surgeon's office has ever mentioned calories to me ever. They focus on protein alone. 

My goal weight for their purposes is 182-160. I'm trying for 150. 

She told me my labs said my protein level was 22. She said normal was 20-40.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/16/14 12:57 pm, edited 9/16/14 12:57 pm

You got a low normal protein level getting 80 +proteins.  i would not change a bit, 'node and smile'  ...and do what works for you.  That's my opinion. If it's working don't fix it. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

LMB221B
on 9/16/14 1:59 pm
On September 16, 2014 at 7:57 PM Pacific Time, H.a.l.a. B. wrote:

You got a low normal protein level getting 80 +proteins.  i would not change a bit, 'node and smile'  ...and do what works for you.  That's my opinion. If it's working don't fix it. 

That's exactly what I am planning to do. It would be different if I wasn't still losing steadily. I'm very happy with my weight loss so far, so I'll keep on with what I'm doing. It would be one thing if my proteins were coming from ribeyes and fried chicken, but it's not. 

Grim_Traveller
on 9/16/14 3:30 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Oh no you didn't!

Ribeye is the perfect RNY food. I've been eating it several times a week since I started on solid food. High protein, no carb. I don't worry about fat content. A nice ribeye leaves me feeling satisfied almost twice as long as anything else. That's one of the big reasons behind dense protein first -- feeling satisfied for a long time, keeping hunger pangs and grazing at bay.

As others have said, I would not cut back on protein if I were you. When I was losing, I was getting a minimum of 170 grams per day. I'd rather get extra protein than carbs.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

LMB221B
on 9/17/14 6:56 am
On September 16, 2014 at 10:30 PM Pacific Time, Grim_Traveller wrote:

Oh no you didn't!

Ribeye is the perfect RNY food. I've been eating it several times a week since I started on solid food. High protein, no carb. I don't worry about fat content. A nice ribeye leaves me feeling satisfied almost twice as long as anything else. That's one of the big reasons behind dense protein first -- feeling satisfied for a long time, keeping hunger pangs and grazing at bay.

As others have said, I would not cut back on protein if I were you. When I was losing, I was getting a minimum of 170 grams per day. I'd rather get extra protein than carbs.

I knew as soon as I typed the word ribeye, that you'd chime in, Grim.  I love a good medium rare ribeye, but I  haven't had one since my surgery mainly because I like them so rare that nobody else in my family will share one with me. 

Grim_Traveller
on 9/17/14 1:13 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'll start the grill. Front door's unlocked.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

poet_kelly
on 9/16/14 7:35 pm - OH

Then I wouldn't cut back on protein if your level is at the lower end of the normal range, personally.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladytazz
on 9/16/14 2:52 pm

Sometimes I get advice I don't agree with at my doctor's office, like Flintstone vitamins for one.  Whenever I get advice that I don't agree with I don't argue the point.  Like Hala said, smile and nod.

I get in over 100 grams of protein a day and I have no problem with my weight.  I've been doing this from day one, just about.  And my numbers are lower then yours.  Obviously my body needs the protein.  

I would think that it is better for my body to get it's calories from protein instead of refined carbs, like bread and crackers.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 382 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 272 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics