5 weeks out from RNY ... is this pouch pain?

Momonamission
on 9/17/14 6:19 am - Charlotte, NC

I am five weeks out from RNY and now find that I have pain on my upper left abdominal area.  To push or bend or reach causes more discomfort.  Has anyone else experienced this.  Other than that, all is well with the exception of very slow bowels. sorry for the TMI.

Margeson2012
on 9/17/14 6:44 am

That is exactly what it is... Constipation. Take something to help you go to clear you out, stool softener or miralax. Then start taking benefiber with every meal. I also saw today a tea you drink at night called Smooth Move. I just bought it at Walgreens and plan on drinking it tonight.  

Momonamission
on 9/17/14 7:58 am - Charlotte, NC

Thanks,  I think that is good advice.  I planned to take something tonight.  I have milk of magnesia but perhaps I will give the tea a try.  keep me posted on how the tea works out for you. Im always weary of laxatives.  It seems like all my hard work of hydrating throughout the day is simply defeated by them.  It seems hard enough to get in the 74 ounces of H2O as it is. 

Thanks for responding!

bublegirl1
on 9/17/14 9:24 am
RNY on 11/10/14

I haven't had the surgery yet but wanted to say Mirilax is very gentle and not like a regular laxative. I have to give it to my son a lot and it's not habit forming either. It works more like a softener to get it out as opposed to a bad laxative effect of having an emergency. Lol good luck!!

-Amie

Chilipepper
on 9/17/14 11:58 am

Take Miralax or Ducolax. Something gentle. Your insides are sill healing. I would avoid laxative or dieters teas 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

mittens20
on 9/17/14 1:22 pm - MD

i did mirilax and i still take colase twise a day but now i do the 2 colase and benifiber im out 5 months and now im starting to get better my drs office told me to do that

Frankie82
on 9/17/14 3:44 pm
RNY on 08/07/14

I will be 6 weeks out tomorrow. I also have pain under my left ribs. I asked my surgeon about this at my follow up last week and he said it is a combination of many things: the "main" stomach healing, the abdominal wall healing from the incisions, and the liver may have been bruised when they put the retractor on it. I take a couple of children's Tylenol while I'm at work, and sometimes put an ice pack on the area when I get home from work, but generally it is getting better. I'd vote unless it is stabbing, significant pain, it's all part of the healing process.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 383 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 73 views
Recent Topics