3 month labs

cspotrun
on 9/18/14 10:04 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I had my 3 month labs drawn today and they only took 3 vials. I remember reading others had many more taken. I wonder if I should ask my surgeon for more tests? I don't remember everything the script said but I do remember it had CBC, iron, cholesterol, and I think I saw some vitamins tested. Maybe it's too early out to have many deficiencies anyway. 

Karen   

poet_kelly
on 9/18/14 10:44 am - OH

Wow, sounds like they hardly did any labs at all.  You're not likely to have developed many deficiencies yet, supposing they did a full set of labs pre-op and you know you didn't have any to begin with.  But you can ask for more labs if you want.  I get a lot more than those done.  Usually about 14 vial of blood.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cspotrun
on 9/18/14 10:56 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Thanks Kelly. I think I'll ask next week at my appointment if there will be more at the 1 year mark. I know they were most concerned with iron because it dropped very low after a bleeding issue in surgery. But I have been feeling much better and I think I'm less anemic. So now I'm wondering about the other vitamins as well. I do take them religiously as instructed but I still would like to see the evidence!

Karen   

poet_kelly
on 9/18/14 10:58 am - OH

Many people do develop deficiencies even when taking all the basic vitamins as instructed.  Everyone's body is a little bit different and some people end up needing more vitamin A or more zinc or more thiamine or whatever than others for whatever reason.  So I think it's still really important to get vitamin levels checked even if you do take the basics regularly (and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery recommends it, as well).

Most surgeons do a full set of labs every three months the first year but if not, they usually do them at the six month mark.  I personally wouldn't want to wait for a whole year to get them done.  I actually had my labs done every six months for the first few years, then went to doing them just once a year.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cspotrun
on 9/18/14 12:12 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

ok good to know, thanks.  I'll insist on the 6 month check as well then.  My surgeon's office is pretty laid back.  I won't even mention my food plan....which literally is nothing more than a picture of a plate and portions.  Luckily I have this forum and have learned so much.

Karen   

Sarahakers11
on 9/19/14 1:14 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

Here is what I have drawn. Just done this am its like 7 vials.  I worked with my PA to get more added then their standard.  I had to agree not to self diagnose and bring any trending issues or concerns to her and we would address a plan together or she would explain why she felt something was not an issue.  She is really GREAT.

DX: V45.3, 269.3 268.9 and 579.3 (diagnosis codes)

Tests :  CMP; CBC, B12, Lipid Panel;Thiamin/Whole Blood; Folic Acid; Vitamin A; Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy, Fe; Transferrin, Ferritin, PTH, HGT (? I cant read my own hand writing on that one) ; Copper; Zinc; HgBAIC; Vitamine E, Phosporous

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

cspotrun
on 9/19/14 1:30 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Thank you that's very helpful!

Karen   

Sarahakers11
on 9/19/14 2:01 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

Your Welcome, I think Poet Kelly gave me some recommendations last year and I did lots of research and came to my appointment with all the tests I wanted.  I cant remember what but there were some they didnt do but they explained why. Something to do with using a conglomerate of other numbers as a more accurate indicator but I cant recall.  Check the ASMBS site and see what they say. 

https://asmbs.org/patients

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 193 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics