Prep mode has kicked in, suggestions plz

Julz1974
on 9/19/14 4:52 am, edited 9/19/14 4:53 am - Bowmanville, Canada

Hi peeps, thanks for reading.  I am having surgery out of town on Tuesday.  I am in hospital till Thursday and then have to stay in a hotel till at least Sunday.  I got a room with a full kitchen, fridge and counter space so I can have room for stuff I need and not have that stress.  Good thing is I can drive from here so would like to shop and take things in a cooler right to the hotel.

So with that I was wondering...

What are the suggestions I take with me for that time...I no it is a liquid diet but what counts as liquid? Is Apple sauce liquid enough?  Is any baby food ok?  Cream of soup or just broths?  I am just lost and hitting panic mode I think.  Do I start on the protein shakes as soon as I can?  Curious to read how you managed and made it through....

thanks again everyone, I probably sound like such a whiner on my posts but I am OMG ing bad...so sorry.

on the plus, day 11 on Opti and weight is down 12.8 lbs at weigh in at Dr this morning, not to bad! 

Jenn S.
on 9/19/14 5:26 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

Did your nutritionist give you a list of things you can have while on your clear liquid phase?  The things that I was allowed were- sugar free jello, broth, powerade zero, crystal ligh****er, sugar free Popsicles, and herbal teas.  I wasn't allowed applesauce, or creamy soups until I moved to the pureed stage, but your diet may be different so I would confirm with your nutritionist and surgeon.  I would not packing too much. You aren't going to be consuming a whole lot in the first few days.  Good luck to you!

poet_kelly
on 9/19/14 6:24 am - OH

Your surgeon didn't give you a meal plan for the first few weeks?  I'd call the office now and ask.  I don't know if applesauce or baby food is OK right away on your doc's plan or not.  But no, those are not liquids.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NYMom222
on 9/19/14 9:31 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Every Doc is different, I was on clear liquid in the Hospital for 2 days, included Italian Ice and popsicles (Sugar free of course) I was to start protein shakes as soon as I got home (it was a Friday) On Monday I went to Full liquids, strained soups, yogurt, farina etc. Was allowed to have applesauce to take meds, and did stir it in my plain yogurt. That being said someone just posted on here they went to full liquids the day they arrived home. SF popsicles, which I never even ate before, were my savior. They were cold, refreshing and you could bite it. So if you have a freezer, you might want to buy some when you get there. I also had a problem with nausea the first week or so. Doc prescribed anti-nausea med but it didn't really help. I ended up using peppermint tic tacs. I would bite them and just let them melt in my mouth- no swallowing. They are less than 2 calories each, and it worked. The peppermint flavor was very soothing. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/19/14 9:42 am

You really need to call and ask. When my doctor said full liquids, he meant broth, water, herbal tea, and protein shakes. Nothing else. His office gave me a big packet of information, and I was admonished not to advance my diet until I had the all clear from his office.

I do recommend taking lip balm with you. It's the one thing I forgot to pack and I really could've used some.

Good luck!

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 536 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?