Am I kidding myself?

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/14 1:01 am
RNY on 04/10/14

I stopped drinking Coke Zero in January of this year.

I had my surgery on April 10th and have lost over 71 pounds to date.

Yesterday I drank a Coke Zero.  It was good.  I liked it a lot but told myself I wasn't going to start this again.

Today, before I could talk my self out of it, I bought another one and drank it.  All the while trying to convince myself that it shouldn't affect my weight loss , etc. etc.

Am I kidding myself?  Should I just get a grip and STOP or do you think Coke Zero is OK?

I'm just afraid that drinking Coke Zero might lead to cravings for sugary things.  However, I have been drinking Diet Sweet Tea from McDonalds for months without that happening.

Opinions please?

poet_kelly
on 9/18/14 1:08 am - OH

Just drinking coke zero won't affect your weight loss.  It has no calories, right?

But if you start eating/drinking sugary things with lots of calories, that will affect your weight loss.

I don't know if drinking coke zero will trigger you to eat and drink more sugary things.  I rarely drink soda, but when I do, it doesn't lead me to eat or drink sugary stuff.  But I'm not you.  If you think it might do that, then I'd probably stay away from the soda.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JAMStribe
on 9/18/14 1:31 am

The first thing that came to mind was should you be drinking carbonated drinks of any sort? 

Personally, I truly believe based on tons of research that soda of any kind, especially Coke and Pepsi are really bad for you, especially diet. 

Google it. 

Chilipepper
on 9/18/14 1:55 am

You answered your own question. No one here will give you permission. This must be your decision. Do you want to walk that path again?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/14 2:01 am
RNY on 04/10/14

I'm not asking for permission.  I'm asking if drinking something that is carbonated but has no calories will interfere with weight loss.

I have read several posts on this forum that say it is bad for you and several that say it is not.

As I mentioned, I feel that if the tea from McDonalds that is made mostly of artificial sweeteners didn't lead me back to sugar then I doubt the Diet Coke would.

But, then again, one never knows.

Just wanted to get feedback from some people that drink diet sodas or from some that found it was harmful to their weight loss efforts.

Thanks.

Chilipepper
on 9/18/14 2:38 am

What did your surgeon tell you. Did he tell you to give up carbonated sodas?  

Diet sweet tea isn't carbonated soda. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/18/14 3:27 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On September 18, 2014 at 9:01 AM Pacific Time, Jenny5807 wrote:

I'm not asking for permission.  I'm asking if drinking something that is carbonated but has no calories will interfere with weight loss.

I have read several posts on this forum that say it is bad for you and several that say it is not.

As I mentioned, I feel that if the tea from McDonalds that is made mostly of artificial sweeteners didn't lead me back to sugar then I doubt the Diet Coke would.

But, then again, one never knows.

Just wanted to get feedback from some people that drink diet sodas or from some that found it was harmful to their weight loss efforts.

Thanks.

The diet sweet tea lead you back to Coke Zero. 

What's the next thing?

One thing I have noticed -- and this isn't scientific -- a common thread among the re-gainers in both my RL support group and on here is consumption of diet soft drinks.  

JMHO.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/19/14 11:28 am - OH

There are lots of us, though, who drink diet soda (and have for several years) with no effect on our weight.  The people I know who have regained HAVE added soda back into their diet but they have also added occasional doughnuts, fried foods, Big Macs, etc.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

dccyr
on 9/18/14 9:32 am

My surgeon told me I shouldn't have carbonated beverages for one year.  And I haven't.  I am not going to tempt fate.  And frankly, I don't miss.  I am not going to take chances with this gift I have been given.

MickeyDee
on 9/18/14 11:20 am

Carbonated drinks didn't sit well with me which is why I don't drink them.  Don't care for the "fullness" they give.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 192 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 371 views
Recent Topics