Had an episode last night..

HLen
on 9/20/14 3:39 am
RNY on 07/11/14

so I had a normal day, coffee with milk and unflavored protein for breakfast

for lunch, half a quest bar and dinner I had some light hummus(made with yogurt, skim milk, etc) and some cheddar and crackers. 

I was going to get in more protein until...

About an hour after dinner I started to fell pressure below my breast and all the way around my body.  My upper back ached and I felt sick.  I layer down and felt worse.  After about 2 hours I decided to go to bed, still feeling the same.  I immediately felt worse laying down, I went back downstairs and told my husband I wanted to go to the ER, it was that bad. 

He was getting dressed and I started to violently vomit and heave, almost not being able to catch my breath.  I was weak, sweating and chills.  

I know it wasn't blockage, I know that feeling, this was worse.  I just wanted to pass out. 

Puked again violently on the way to the hospital and again in the nurses check in station.  Hard to breathe deep because it hurt.

They hooked me up to an IV, gave me Zofran and I started to feel tons better, but decided to stay and get results. 

While waiting I felt back to normal. 

I drank a huge container of sterile water and had a CT scan with contrast.  When I got back to the room, I had liquid diarrhea.. Then I was ok, no other diarrhea episodes. 

No leaks, no blockage, no inflamed gallbladder.. 

Bloodwork said liver enzymes elevated, but everything else was good.  I still don't know what this was!

Was this a severe, late dumping episode? (I have never dumped)

or maybe the start of gallstones?

Anyone ever have an episode like this? :(

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

poet_kelly
on 9/20/14 3:46 am - OH

I don't know what it was.  What was the diagnosis at the ER?  The doctor that actually examined you would be better able to make a diagnosis than people on the internet that weren't there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

crqvingchange
on 9/20/14 4:09 am

That sounds terrible.  If it is dumping, I certainly wouldn't want to go through that.  It does sound like it was a reaction to your dinner.  So glad you're feeling better.

HLen
on 9/20/14 4:17 am
RNY on 07/11/14

Thanks all, the ER doc said there wasn't anything she could see, and since I was better by the time we got results from CT, she just wanted me to get an ultrasound on my Gallbladder if I experienced it again to be sure no stones there, but that the CT scan didn't show any. 

They really didn't have much of an answer, so I was just wondering if anyone else had had the same thing happen. :-)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/20/14 9:46 am - OH

I have no idea what it was, but it doesn't really sound like late dumping -- even an extreme case -- because of the way it started with pain up high and then violent vomiting 3 hours later (when the food would have been well down into the intestine (your body knows you cannot vomit food up that is in the intestine so it usually doesn't try)).

I would still be a bit cautious of eating whatever you rapt eat dinner, though... Just in case!  Sure hope it doesn't happen again.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Chilipepper
on 9/20/14 9:55 am

Are you drinking decaf?  Your little pouch is still very sensitive and the caffeine could start you down the road to an ulcer.  You are only 2 months out.  You can dump at anytime and some dumping episodes can be extremely scary to someone who has never dumped. I would lay off the hummus and crackers and stick to protein.  Eat some turkey and cheddar roll ups or ham. I would also lay off the coffee for awhile. Get some Click. It's coffee flavored protien.  We are all coffee drinkers and it's a ***** to have to lay off it for awhile.

I am sorry that happened to you.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

HLen
on 9/20/14 10:21 am
RNY on 07/11/14

I always drink decaf, even prior to surgery.  I switch off from tea and coffee every few days.  

The 1oz hummus had 4g protein and the crackers had 2g and the cheddar I had with them had 12g.  So I definately focus on protein, and thought the hummus was a good choice since it had twice as much protein as normal hummus. 

I plan on laying off the hummus for awhile because I don't know if that's what caused anything.  

I have a lot of problems with meat, even lunch meat.  It just doesn't settle well.  But I do hit my 60-70g everyday and alway**** my fluids.  

I have been on fluids only for 24hrs per dr orders.  So my pouch is getting some R&R today. 

Thanks for the words! 

NYMom222
on 9/20/14 11:51 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I had food get stuck one time, that was so painful. I vomited the food up 2 1/2 hours later. So to think it passes automatically in 1/2 hour doesn't always happen. I would talk to your surgeon, even if the ER Doc wasn't sure. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

HLen
on 9/20/14 12:45 pm
RNY on 07/11/14

I know the food stuck feeling.. I would have chosen that over this ANYtime!!  

Just--Toni
on 9/20/14 12:33 pm

Sounds a lot like when I had gallbladder issues. Had it removed shortly after. Good luck to you. Fatty foods will trigger episode.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 399 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404