3 week Liquid diet struggle

Bubbles314
on 9/20/14 11:18 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I have struggled all 6 days of this liquid diet and I still have 2 weeks to find something my stomach can handle.  I did the Premier Protein shakes for 3 days and then got so sick (vomit, diareah, stomach cramps, and acid reflux) I know TMI.  Called the Dr and they thought it could be a milk intolerance (I was allergic as an infant/child).  They suggested I go to the Vitamin Shop and find another shake and change to Lactaid milk or almond milk.  I told them the acid reflux was so bad I took Tums and ate a few saltines.    My question is does Lactaid or Almond milk taste like milk or something else?  I don't really care for milk at all never liked the taste but I do eat cheese, yogurt etc.

Anybody have any other ideas.  I got Syntrax protein shakes  some you mix with water and some Almond unsweetened milk.  I will try anything I still have 2weeks to do the liquid diet (to get it right)  and it really bothers me that I am having problems and haven't had surgery yet and now questioning if I can do it.    I haven't felt so bad since I had food poisoning. 

Oh and I got a bottle of Isopure to try.  My stomach is just really upset the last couple days and I can't force anything in bu****er.  I'll try the new stuff tomorrow, maybe it will work.  Sorry to be such a complainer I just am so dissallusion I didn't think I would have such problems.

NYMom222
on 9/20/14 12:18 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes protein powders can be rough. I find I can't stick with one.... I will get sick of it eventually. I had diarrhea when I was on liquids, I figured liquid in liquid out.... :) Right now I am using Fit Frappe Coffee use one scoop with milk or almond milk and add some unflavored protein powder too. Mix in blender with ice.. like a frappachino. I use Genepro unflavored protein powder, I got on Amazon. I like it because 1 TBSP = 30g protein. so much less volume makes it easier to mix in. Some people mix the plain into Crystal Light. That particular Genepro powder can be mixed into hot liquids as well, I had it the other day in a large cup of hot tea. With cold weather coming that makes me happy. I don't know where you live but I got the Fit Frappe at Stop n' Shop grocery store...some Sam's Clubs sell it and available online. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Bubbles314
on 9/21/14 4:29 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

NYMom

Thanks for the help.  I will try the Fit Frappe coffee and the Genepro unflavored protein powder.  It probably is best to have a few different protein shakes you can go to.  Thanks again

SubeA
on 9/20/14 12:50 pm
RNY on 09/16/14

I suspected I was lactose intolerant and after a couple of days of protein shakes that weren't lactose-free, I was sure I am. Basically, the same digestive problems you described. I was miserable but everything cleared up after I switched to lactose-free shakes. Hard to find but worth it.

Bubbles314
on 9/21/14 4:38 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

SubeA

I did ask the Dr if they knew of a protein shake Lactose free and they suggested Boost glucose control.  I tried the Syntrax today with the water mix.  If that goes well tomorrow I will try the Almond milk or Boost.

Thanks again for the help.

HLen
on 9/20/14 12:50 pm
RNY on 07/11/14

If you are drinking more than 30g (I think that's the number) in a sitting, you don't absorb it all.   My husband was doing that, he isn't even a pre-op patient, and it caused diarrhea, cramping, etc... He talked to our PCP and he said it was too much protein all at once, your body essentially dumps what it doesn't need.  

maybe try spacing your drinks out by a few hours.  The liquid diet was tough, but it's all worth it. 

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

poet_kelly
on 9/20/14 1:06 pm - OH

The ASMBS says that is just a myth that you only absorb 30 grams  of protein at a time. 

You absorb all the calories, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

HLen
on 9/20/14 2:49 pm
RNY on 07/11/14

Well that may be true then, just what I have read, but I do know it will cause the other symptoms if you have too much.  Our Doctor did advise that, when my hubby slowed down on protein, it stopped. :)

thank you for clarifying that, I wasn't aware it was a myth :)

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Bubbles314
on 9/21/14 4:44 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

HLen

Thanks.  I am spacing out the protein drinks because that is all I can have all day and night.  I drink one for breakfast, lunch and dinner and 2 snack times, 800 calories or below a day and no food.  I think I was questioning if I could do this after surgery because of the problems I was having now.

Bubbles314
on 9/21/14 4:53 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

HLen

I do space  out the protein shakes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and two snacks.  Thanks for the encouragement yesterday I did not think this would work for me.  I will try new shakes, I want to believe it will be worth it.  Thanks and best of luck to you

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 199 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 371 views
Recent Topics