Need help with protein

SubeA
on 9/20/14 1:16 pm
RNY on 09/16/14

I had RNY on 9/16 and am in post-op liquid diet phase. Today I got all the protein servings in that a sample day on this diet lists, but then did the math and realized I only got 40 grams of protein not the 65 grams the list shows. I had 1/4 cup greek yogurt (6 grams), three snacks of 4 oz protein shake each (21 oz) , 1/4 cup cottage cheese (7 oz) and 1/2 cup cream of wheat (6 oz).

I drink GNC's Total Lean/Lean Shake with 25 g of protein in 14 oz so that comes out to about 7 g of protein for 4 oz. The sample day listed 15 g of protein for each of the 4 oz of protein shake and that's where things didn't match up with what I'm actually getting.

What is the best thing for me to do to increase my protein intake? I don't want to increase volume but need to get more grams in. Should I look for an unflavored protein power to add to yogurt, cottage cheese and other things.

Thanks!

NYMom222
on 9/20/14 2:21 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Congratulations on the surgery! You are only a few days out, it gets easier. My doc's office said to work up to it- they didn't expect you to get it all in right out of the gate. You didn't mention how much water you are drinking, but maybe add another shake instead of drinking some of the water. I had to get in 64oz total fluids as a goal, that included shakes. You are not increasing volume that way but are increasing protein. You could skip the cream of wheat too, that's less important than getting the protein in, just a suggestion. In the beginning you feel like all your doing is sipping, sipping, sipping, it took forever to get the protein shakes in. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

SubeA
on 9/23/14 3:55 am
RNY on 09/16/14

Thanks! I'm doing well at getting fluids and protein in, just realizing that if I follow the amounts in the sample day, I won't get enough protein. I've gotten some protein powder and am adding that to the protein shakes I have. That seems to be working.

Chilipepper
on 9/20/14 2:32 pm

Congrats. You don't need to worry about getting in all the protien now. Just concentrate on fluids so you don't dehydrate. You body can go 2 weeks without it. Don't push you new pouch if you overload it you can create leaks. Next week introduce the protien. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

bigmetfan38
on 9/20/14 3:21 pm - los osos, CA
Revision on 07/15/14

yes, congratulations to you on the surgery! i am drinking premier protein drinks. they come already made, they are 30 grams of protein for 11 oz. i get them by the case at costco. they have vanilla, but i think they are too sweet, but the chocolate ones are pretty good. if you're shooting for 65 oz, then you're good with two drinks the entire day - leaving you open for water water and more water! good luck!

dccyr
on 9/21/14 12:01 am

You are doing just fine.  you need to work up to getting all the protein in.  My doctor said it would take a few weeks to get there, but the most important was to stay hydrated and walk.  So ease up on yourself.  Getting in 40 grams for where you are is terrific.  Relax!

White Dove
on 9/21/14 9:44 am - Warren, OH

I used Beneprotein unflavored and added it to everything I could think of.  My favorite was sugarfree vanilla pudding made with skim milk.  It is a great way to get your protein up.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SubeA
on 9/23/14 3:57 am
RNY on 09/16/14

Thanks! I'll look for that brand. I'm lactose intolerant so I'm finding it difficult to find unflavored protein powder that fits with the amount of sugar and is lactose-free. I've found some that works okay and am adding it to my protein shakes to up my protein.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/21/14 9:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Why only 4 ounces of protein shake at a time? Unless this is what your doctor wants, I would increase it to 8 ounces. Liquids don't count as volume the way solid food does, and a protein shake is just liquid.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SubeA
on 9/23/14 3:57 am
RNY on 09/16/14

Yes, the doctor's info says 4 oz of protein shake at a time.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 467 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 303 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
Recent Topics