3 days post op fever

Bansheefaerie
on 9/28/14 1:16 pm
RNY on 09/25/14

I had my RNY on Thursday 9/25. From the time I woke up I had terrible left shoulder pain. It's worse when I breathe deep. My surgeon said it was from the gas and is normal. I've been walking. I've been following the instructions. Not having anything I shouldn't. 

Well I left the hospital Saturday and went to my parents house. The pain has slowly been getting better. Today I came back to my house. My pain just seems to be worse than it was yesterday. At about 2:20 I asked my husband to bring my pain med up at 3:00. I fell asleep feeling cold. When I woke up at 3:45 I was with out pain meds and I had a fever of 101.4,  chills and of course shoulder pain. 

I called my surgeon and he asked me some questions. He said if I get worse to go to the ER.  Otherwise come see him in the morning. 

I fell asleep again and woke up with a headache. I have an alarm set on my phone for every 10 mins to drink 2 oz of fluid. Does this sound right? 

Despite my efforts I still have a fever and I feel thirsty. 

HW 298.6 - Consultation weight 289.6 - SW 267.6 - CW 239.4  

~ Laura

NYMom222
on 9/28/14 1:34 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Not sure about the shoulder pain but I will tell you, you get some awful gas a few days after surgery, from everything they pumped into you during surgery.... I would allow myself to get some rest, and not have the alarm going off every 10 minutes. While you do have to sip, sip, sip in the beginning it takes a little time to build up to the 64oz they usually tell you to get in. Try to get some rest and go see the doc in the morning. Keep some water by your bed, so it you do wake up you can sip. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

InTransition
on 9/28/14 1:54 pm
RNY on 09/08/14

The shoulder pain is completely normal.  It's from the air they use during the surgery (assuming your procedure was laparoscopic).  The fever, if it goes on over 24 hours, is concerning, because it indicates a possible infection.  I ran a fever the first 2 nights I was home, but it wasn't over 101. I also had a headache for the first 4 or 5 days after surgery.  

I would say try and drink as much as you can, but don't wake up to do it.  Your body needs the sleep to repair itself.  Do your best to get some protein shakes in.  Water and protein are a work in progress - you'll get there.

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/14 6:17 am
Revision on 09/23/14

Hope you feel better soon did not have a lot of pain issues. What has your doctor said. Does walking around the house make you feel better?Thanks for the setting a timer for drinking fluid. Keep you head up. This too shall pass.

Bansheefaerie
on 9/30/14 6:39 am
RNY on 09/25/14

My surgeon ordered some labs. Everything came back normal. I'm starting to feel better. 

HW 298.6 - Consultation weight 289.6 - SW 267.6 - CW 239.4  

~ Laura

Alibye
on 9/30/14 2:09 pm

I am so glad to hear you are doing better!  I also had that weird shoulder blade pain from the gas.  Ouch!  So uncomfortable!

Alibye
on 9/30/14 2:09 pm

I am so glad to hear you are doing better!  I also had that weird shoulder blade pain from the gas.  Ouch!  So uncomfortable!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 399 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404