Liquid Diet

TarshaJ
on 9/29/14 11:52 pm

I had my surgery on September 17th.   I am currently on the liquid and pureed diet.  Is there a limit on how much liquids you can consume.  I drink alot of water at one time.  Should I be drinking a certain amount?

poet_kelly
on 9/30/14 12:42 am - OH

No, not really.  You can get really sick if you drink huge amounts of liquids in a very short period of time - there was a woman that died after drinking four gallons of water in less than one hour.  So I'd limit yourself to maybe a gallon or less per hour.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Poodlemac
on 9/30/14 1:56 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I would NEVER try to drink a gallon of water per hour!!  WLS or not!!  you don't need that much water in a day!!!

saterry
on 9/30/14 2:54 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

A gallon contains 16  8oz servings. No one, especially a WLS patient, should drink 16 servings of ANYTHING in an hour !

Surely you ment in a day, not in and hour, and even a gallon might be a bit much for most people in a day let alone WLS patients.........

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

poet_kelly
on 9/30/14 2:56 am - OH

I wasn't suggesting anyone should drink a gallon in an hour, simply saying it is probably safe to do so.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

saterry
on 9/30/14 3:04 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

Anything more than 4 cups an hour puts undue stress on your kidneys while your body is at rest.

Exercise will help your kidneys process this liquid at a faster rate safely.

The OP is 2 weeks out and has a new healing pouch.

It is NOT safe to drink a gallon of liquid an hour for anyone.

Not trying to be difficult I just want the correct information noted.

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/30/14 6:47 am
RNY on 08/05/19

A person can safely drink 800 to 1,000 ml (~28oz) per hour without experiencing a net gain in water, assuming they're not overly exerting themselves. After that point, things can get serious, therefore it is recommended to "drink to thirst" and no further.

28oz in an hour is fine. At that rate, a person can drink one gallon (128 oz) over ~4 hours without gaining water and potentially throwing off his/her sodium balance, particularly if sweating a lot. But this medical research suggests to me that your suggested gallon-per-hour is NOT safe.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 10/1/14 12:07 pm - Burleson, TX

Nurse Gina concurs

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 426 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 376 views
What's on your Monday Menu?