Surgery is Coming Up!

ycham87
on 10/17/14 1:13 pm

Hello all! :) My surgery is scheduled for December 1st. I am getting a little nervous.

Wanted to know if there were any tips or tricks or things you were surprised by post-surgery that you can warn me about it (i.e. pain, appetite, physical activity, etc.)?

NYMom222
on 10/17/14 1:55 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My first biggest surprise was how good I felt 1 week after surgery. 2 days in the hospital, 2 days of 'laying low' and then progressively better each day. 

Unexpected: If you eat too fast it will make you sick of give you pain. Never had heard of the 'foamies' ... If food is stuck your body produces this mucous and foam to try and unstuck it I guess... you kind of spit it up. 

Solution: Chew well, don't eat too fast and make sure your food is not dry. 

Unexpected: Thought I would never get hungry... I had heard people say this. I do get hungry, never ravenous but I do get hungry.

Unexpected: Plateaus come at any time including 1 week after surgery, and can last 3 1/2 weeks. Upside- lost more weight the second month than the first. Don't freak out, just do what you are supposed to do.

Overall very happy- Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sherrie P.
on 10/18/14 6:00 am
RNY on 02/06/13

You will lose a lot of weight the first two weeks - then crash and burn in week three. Beware the dreaded three week stall.

I was exhausted until week 5.

Don't compare your experience to others - it will steal your joy.

Slow losers can get to goal too.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

MyLady Heidi
on 10/18/14 3:18 pm

Walking is your friend for many reasons, lots of walking really helps.  Losing weight is amazing, lose the scale if you dont want to drive yourself insane.

joansch
on 10/20/14 5:34 am

As others have said,  walk, walk, walk, sip, sip, sip. For the first few days at home, I walked a circle around the inside of my house. Started at 10 times around, and every time I passed through the kitchen I took a sip of water ****pt it in a 2 oz measuring cup). After a few days, I increased it to 15 times around, and kept sipping. I did this every hour or so. My husband said I was like a shark circling. I got Isopure (like the blue raspberry the best) and sipped that instead of water, to help get protein in.

Also, I found it very helpful to always have a pillow on my stomach when I was sitting or lying down, and one under my knees when I went to bed.

Best of luck to you! You'll do fine!

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 470 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 384 views