Your choice.

Lost1
on 10/21/14 8:28 am

Hi there, 

I am sure everyone of you that made this choice had a reason. Maybe your doctor choose, maybe you did.. I want to know why you chose the Gastric Bypass over the Sleeve procedure. 

My doctor won't make the choice for me.. I have asked what his medical opinion is and he just shakes his head and states that it's up to me. He thinks I am bordering both procedures. 

I need to make up my mind before it's submitted to insurance. They're waiting for me now. 

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you! 

selhard
on 10/21/14 8:45 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I think your medical doctor's job is to give you his recommendation no matter how much you are bordering on both.  But, then again, he may think you'll be more satisfied if you make the decision on your own?  My doctor chose RNY because of blood sugar issues and I have no regrets.  You might get a reply saying the Sleeve gives you more options with medication-taking in your golden years...something that probably doesn't sound all that important now but may become a issue with old-age ailments.  

Karen M.
on 10/21/14 8:50 am - Mississauga, Canada

When I had surgery 8 1/2 years ago the VSG wasn't readily being done yet. Having said that, if I had the choice at the time I definitely would have gone with RNY (which I did). My body and metabolism were so screwed up from years and years of yo-yo dieting, failed weight loss attempts.... I needed the re-set that the RNY provided. I needed the malabsorptive properties of the RNY to finally lose the extra 170 pounds I was carrying around - I am quite certain that restriction alone would not have been adequate for me to lose weight.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

bublegirl1
on 10/21/14 9:02 am
RNY on 11/10/14

I had the sleeve in 2010. I started at 286 and got to 209 and I honestly think I misunderstood the whole point. At the time, everyone was telling me how with the sleeve you can eat whatever you want but will lose weight because of the restriction. That was obviously not the truth, with ANY procedure. I gained back to 250. Ive been overweight since a small child. My surgeon is happy I have maintained about half of the weight I lost for two years now but thinks the RNY will help get to goal. I will have to fight like hell to stay there but I feel this is the right thing for me at this time.

Sorry so long. lol There are pros and cons to both procedures. I'd ask the size of the bougie your surgeon uses. Mine used a 40 and I didn't have as much restriction as some others once my stomach healed. But he uses a slightly larger one to lower the risks of strictures and things like that.

What is you weight history? Do you think a restriction only procedure will be helpful? Or do you think some malabsorption will help you? My surgeon said the malabsorption lasts forever but diminishes over time. But you will have to be diligent with your labs forever and take supplements. This was ok with me because I still take supplements daily from when I had VSG anyway.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. You have support either way.

-Amie

Bubbles314
on 10/21/14 9:14 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I asked to have the sleeve but my Dr said because of the amount of weight I need to lose and the fact that I had gerd (acid reflux) the sleeve was not a good choice.  Sometimes the sleeve makes gerd worse.  So we talked and I agreed I would get RNY.  I also did alot of reading anything I could get my hands on about the surgery.  Good luck

jackietex
on 10/21/14 10:08 am
1. Greater hope for diabetes remission
2. Chance of losing more of my excess body weight percentage.

Lap RNY February 15, 2012
Starting weight 195 (ht. 4'10)
Surgery weight 178.5
Current weight 113

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/14 10:16 am
RNY on 11/17/14

Hello!

I chose RNY due to existing medical conditions (Gastroparesis, Reflux, PCOS) that I hope the RNY and weight loss will help with. I knew before I started the journey what procedure I wanted.

There are pros and cons for both. Only you can tell what will work for you.

mimiof2wins
on 10/21/14 11:31 am - CA
RNY on 01/16/14

Sorry your doctor didn't help more. Mine chose rny because of gerd and blood sugar. No regrets here. Do you have gerd or high blood sugar? if so, think anout the rny.

Hulie
on 10/21/14 11:42 am

Chose the RNY because of blood sugar, and gerd.  No regrets.

KattattaK
on 10/21/14 12:30 pm

Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of feeling rushed to make a choice. Take your time, as much time as you need, to research, research, research before making a decision. Google each surgery and look for issues and benefits for each surgery. I hope you find the surgery that works best for you. All the best!!!

😊

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 382 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 272 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views