"weight loss" shakes

cspotrun
on 10/25/14 1:24 am
RNY on 07/01/14

My friend from work just started a medically supervised weight loss program.  They are giving her a combo of medications, vitamins, and shakes/foods.  She and I decided to trade one of her shakes for one of mine so we could each try the other product.  I use syntrax nectar double stuff cookie.  Hers is not found in stores, and only comes from her doctor's office.  I actually e-mailed my NUT the label and she said it was fine to try.  I tried hers the other day, and about 1/4 way through, I was lightheaded and not feeling well at all.  This is my "tell" that I am in the beginning stages of feeling the effects of too many carbs/sugars, so of course I stopped drinking.  It took me about 30 minutes to feel better.  The important stats on her drink:

calories: 200

protein: 27

sugars: 7

carbs: 10

My shakes:

calories: 100

protein: 23

carbs: 4

sugars: 0

I guess it's the sugar that makes the difference?  Just interesting how quickly I felt terrible.  It had so much protein and the sugars and carbs were not high so I thought I would be ok.  I hope the supervised diet works for her, although she has lost and gained many times in her life.  She does seem really committed though.  We all have our own journeys to travel....

Karen   

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/25/14 4:41 am

Sugars in liquids affect me much faster and much worse than same amount of sugars in more dense foods.  I can tolerate 10gr of sugar in food, but 5 gr in liquid form may make me very sick.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cspotrun
on 10/25/14 5:20 am
RNY on 07/01/14

That's interesting. I think I might be similar. Honestly I haven't found my threshold yet and have been staying away from sugar as much as possible. But I do hope I can figure out exactly how much I can tolerate so I can avoid disaster. Thanks for the insight. 

Karen   

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/14 1:03 am

Good luck trying to find out exactky how much is too much.. And what foods can cause it. At 6.5 years out it is still hit and miss for me. Stress, what i ate that day or even the day before, time of the day, even a season..make my body react differently to the same foods.  Some foods combination makes me sick some times, but not other time.  With not making much sense. Is the same type of meal makes me sick on 2 occasion...it gets put on "no no" list unless i don't mind getting sick... 

I do have days that i do play "Russian roulette "...not many days anymore...but it happens..

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

selhard
on 10/25/14 1:50 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I just experienced a liquid sugar lesson...  On a cold, windy day I decided to warm up with a cup of old-fashioned oatmeal for breakfast thinking I "could handle" a drizzle of pure maple syrup on top.  Nope, had to go lay down for a while.  Blah, just typing this makes me feel queasy again!

poet_kelly
on 10/25/14 7:41 am - OH

If you only drank 1/4 of it, that would have been less than two grams of sugar.  It's hard to believe that two grams of sugar would make you sick.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cspotrun
on 10/25/14 8:02 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I didn't get sick, but I got that distinct lightheaded feeling in my head that always precedes getting sick if I keep going.  It happens with fruit, certain yogurts, and other things with sugar.  I don't really understand it.  Before I realized it was a sign, I would continue eating my portion and end up very sick.  I did mix it with milk, as I do always do with my protein drinks, so I suppose there was more than 2 grams.  But truly it's not a lot.  I don't really know why, but I hope I figure out my limits soon.  The other person *****sponded mentioned it takes a lot less to get her sick when the sugar is in liquid form.  Now that I think of it, I really think she is onto something.

Karen   

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/26/14 12:14 am - OH

Like Kelly, I find it hard to believe that only about 2g of sugar, even in liquid form, would make you sick (even the person I know who dumps on what seemed like anything and everything can tolerate 4-5g even in liquid form), but --like Hala -- I know that liquid-y sugar doe**** me harder and faster than solid sugar. Still... Only 2g seems unlikely.

Did you check the ingredients for any artificial sweeteners (sugar alcohols... Anything ending with "-tol")? I am far more sensitive to sugar alcohols that regular sugar and lightheadedness and headache (and then diarrhea down the road) are what I experience when something is too high in sugar alcohols. It is more likely that YOUR shake has more sugar alcohols than your friend's, but sometimes it matters WHICH sugar alcohol for me more than HOW MUCH.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cspotrun
on 10/26/14 12:24 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Maybe so. I'll check the labels again.  Like I said, I really don't have a grip on what exactly makes me feel that way, I just know it can get bad if I don't pay attention to the signs and stop.  I assumed it was sugar and/or carbs, but only because I didn't have a better guess.  It happens if I eat more than half a greek yogurt too.   Plain old protein (meat/fish/eggs) give me no trouble at all.  I'll look into the sugar alcohols.  Thanks.

Karen   

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/14 1:08 am

Beside sugar - consider dairy allergy - milk type proteins - whey and casein.  Yoghurt used to make me queasy...and 3 years later i was finally diagnosed with dairy allergy.... The sugar + dairy prisons what probably set me off.  (Just an idea)

Btw - SA - major issues for me...they affect me worse that real sugars. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics