Always Hungry

MaxineS
on 10/25/14 5:49 am
with

I hope someone has some suggestions cause I dont know what to do. I am always hungry. I eat my meals, try to eat them as slowly as they say but afterwards I am still hungry. I eat about a cup of food, more or less,  but I still want to eat more. Unless I eat enough to end up in pain, I am still hungry. I am so scared I am going to gain weight back instead of still losing. I am six months out of surgery and down 73 pounds. Any suggestions will be sooo appreciated.

dccyr
on 10/25/14 6:00 am

Can you provide more information? What is a day's menu for you? How much protein? How many ozs of liquid are you drinking. 

Eating enough till you are in pain doesn't make sense to me? Are you talking to your nutritionist? 

We need much more information on what exactly you are eating in a day. Do you journal your food?

MaxineS
on 10/25/14 6:19 am
with

I usually have coffee for breakfast. If I do eat food for breakfast its usually some leftover chicken. I cannot eat eggs since the bypass, they make me sick. So for breakfast I usually get 0 to 30 grams of protein. Lunch and dinner are  usually all protein or protein and vegetables. Each would probably be about 20 to 30 grams of protein.

I know I dont drink enough. I drink 24 ounces of coffee between 7:00 AM and noon and between 16 to 48 ounces of diet snapple over the course of the rest of the day. Usually is it at the lower end, closer to about 24 ounces in addition to the coffee.

I have spoken to the doctor and his PA about it. He says I am eating too fast so I slowed it down but I am still hungry. So his PA said to eat a little faster so I will eat more in that allotted time. I did and was still hungry. He says that if I eat a cup of food I should not feel hungry for five hours. I do not eat much carbs, just once in a while.  If I do I try to eat complex carbs like brown rice or other whole grains. 

I have not been journaling my food. I guess I will start to do that.  Any other suggestions?

MaxineS
on 10/25/14 6:23 am
with

Also, at night I graze like a cow, slow and steady. My daily treat is a little lunchbox size bag of chips and then some Skinny Pop popcorn, maybe an apple... Seems to be my weakest time.

Jenn S.
on 10/25/14 6:59 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

This sort of sounds more like head hunger to me than actual hunger.  Instead of snacking at night, try drinking more liquids.  If you are sure it's not head hunger, then I would snack on protein and not empty calories like chips.  The chips won't help you get to goal.

dccyr
on 10/25/14 7:27 am

So, here is what I think...

Plan your meals.

Eat breakfast, very important. If you have slept 6-8 hours and then don't eat till noon the next day, that's like 14 hours with no protein.

Try a  Greek yogurt mid morning 

Eat a protein heavy lunch.

eat a protein heavy dinner.

Have abpnither greek yogurt, or a cheese stick and low cal crackers.

It is important to plan your meals and journal your food.

Indrink 24 oz of water while I am getting ready in the morning. I plan my meals out. I have made baked apple oatmeal with a yorgurt sauce and take to work and eat breakfast at my desk. I make hham and cheese sandwich with Slenders or a turkey sandwich. I make sure I have a 24 oz glass of water sitting on my desk so I know to drink all day. I have grilled chicken/salmon or some other protein for dinner. I add protein powder to yogurt . 

I journal every night before bed. I have a fit it and track exercise and water on it.  

So stay away from the chips, they are ca,kris heavy, and only keep up your cravings.

Doing these things is how I keep myself accountable. I also keep quest protein bars in hand.  They have 29 grams of protein.

You can do this but onlynif you follow the program.

dccyr
on 10/25/14 7:28 am

Pardon the typos, on my iPad. 

MaxineS
on 10/25/14 8:14 am
with

i always use my phone so I understand typos! haha

poet_kelly
on 10/25/14 7:40 am - OH

So you only eat two or three times a day?  And get as little as 40 grams of protein some days?

I would start eating breakfast and eat snacks between meals.  If I only ate three times a day, I would be hungry too.

I would also drink more.  The Mayo Clinic says most people really need at least 72 oz of fluid a day and many need more than that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MaxineS
on 10/25/14 8:12 am
with

Thank you everyone. I need to start tracking and drinking more and eating breakfast. I just dont get thirsty, I dont know why. But I will try all your suggestions cause they are excellent ones. Thank you so much.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 288 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics