Bloody bowel movements after RNY

brandito
on 11/20/14 11:41 am

Wow!  Surgery was not at all what I expected. All I can do is pray that the experience is like childbirth...extremely painful but forgettable. So I didn't read anywhere how horrible the pain was after surgery and how badly I would question why I did this. I have been discharged two days postop even though I have bloody bowel movements each time I pass gas. I can't believe the doctor released me and said this is okay and will go away!  Sorry for the TMI post but I didn't see anything about this in the tons of info I read. If anyone had the experience and cares to share I would appreciate it!

RNY 11/18/14 5'4" HW: 255 SW: 236 CW: 190.8 GW: 125...although 140 may be more realistic...can't comprehend what's possible!

Pre-op -11.6 lbs, M1 -13.6 lbs, M2 -10 lbs, M3 -6.8 lbs, M4 -7.6 lbs, M5 -3.8, M6 -3.0, and counting!

cspotrun
on 11/20/14 11:48 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I did and it's pretty scary! The nurse wanted to see it so I showed her. She had never seen that before so she brought in a more experienced nurse who had seen that after RNY. They did an extra blood draw, gave me an iron infusion and sent me on my way. I did have to see the doctor 3 days later though. The bleeding lasted about a week, but less every day. Doctor said it wasn't typical but also not likely to be a problem.  I haven't had any problems out of the ordinary since. Best of luck to you!

Karen   

andy M.
on 11/20/14 2:49 pm - fairfax, VA
with

I didn't have bloody stool, but i have talked to alot of people on here who had bloody stool after RNY. All them were fine, they said it lasted between 4-7 days. But i am so glad to hear you say how painful it was (That sounds bad, haha) Because I was the same way, i didn't hear or see anyone say how painful it was gonna be right after surgery. Lol when i woke up in the recovery room, I was like omg what in the hell did i do, and god it hurt sooooo bad. They wouldn't give me any pain medication until i was 100% awake and back in my room. So i sat there in the recovery room yelling for my pain medication, and by the time i got to my room it was an hour after I had surgery. So they cranked in some pain medicine and I was OUT Cold for the rest of the day, but my god was it painful. But in a few weeks you are gonna realize it was the BEST decision you ever made in your life and you won't even think or remember all the pain. Hang in there and just take it one day at a time. Trust me, it gets 100x's better!   ---Andy---

White Dove
on 11/20/14 10:58 pm - Warren, OH

I was started on pain medication before I woke up from surgery so never experienced any pain.  I woke up and wondered if they had even done surgery, but could see the incisions.

The bloody stool for a few days is just from the cutting the intestines during RNY.  It is nothing to be concerned about and should be gone after about a week.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/14 12:14 am
RNY on 11/17/14

My first two days were super painful. I didn't have any meds when I woke up so all I remember saying over and over again was "hurts" until they got me my pump.  After that I was out. Day two was the worst for me. they put me on liquid meds and the meds kept wearing off before I could take more. I also has urine problems. I'm still bleeding from the catheter but it's getting better every day. We're totally here by your side commiserating. It'll get better.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 262 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics