Macro Pouch for RNY

GrammyRie
on 11/20/14 4:26 am

High all.  My daughter had RNY surgery on 10-6-14 and received a macro pouch.  She has lost almost 50 pounds - but just can't consistently keep liquid/soft food down.  Also having problems with vitamins, etc.  Anyone else with macro pouch with similar problems or good ideas??

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/20/14 8:44 am - OH

Do you mean a micro pouch rather than macro pouch?  (I have never heard of a macro pouch, so if you are sure that is what it is called, you can skip the rest of my reply.)

If so, did she do any research on the micro pouch before she had it done? I know it is irrelevant now, but I'm afraid that the problem she is experiencing is one of the many reasons that most surgeons won't create a micro pouch (a pouch the size of a large grape rather than the size of a small egg).  

Since the surgery is already done (and since I don't know any ways to ease most of the problems associated with it), I won't go through the various problems associated with it,  but you might want to do an Internet search on it to try to find some suggestions.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

GrammyRie
on 11/20/14 11:51 am

Yes, I do mean micro pouch (Sorry).  She didn't realize that was what she was getting until 1 month after surgery appt with surgeon. All we've found on the internet is results....faster weight loss and less chance of re-gaining the weight.  That's why we would like to hear some responses from that surgery.  Thanks for your response Lora.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/20/14 12:37 pm - OH

Oh, wow.  Her surgeon should have made it clear that (s)he would be doing a micro pouch, because there are some considerable disadvantages to such a tiny pouch!

Not the least of which is the fact that, although the weight comes off faster because you can eat almost nothing, in one study the statistics for regain were actually higher than for a typical pouch because people with the micro pouch had to eat more often in order to get enough nutrition, and the frequent eating actually led them to overeat. :(. 

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/20/14 9:49 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I don't have a lot of experience other than a friend who has a micro-pouch.  She had her surgery done in NY -- and it was actually the second surgery -- she had a vsg as the first stage and then the RNY with a micro pouch as the second stage after losing 120 pounds with the vsg.  The reason for two surgeries (planned this way) is that she was super morbidly obese at over 600 pounds.  

She has had a lot of problems with the "micro" pouch but they seem to have resolved now.  After her surgery, she was unable to keep anything down for nearly two months.  She had to return to the hospital for IVs to keep hydrated.  They also had to do a scope a couple of times to stretch the opening into her pouch.  It seems to me, that about 4 months in, she started to get past the original issues.  

She has gone from over 600 pounds to the mid-200's -- so she has been successful so far.  I can't share anything long-term as she isn't a vet yet.  She had the micro pouch RNY last winter.

Hope you find some information to help you.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 134 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views