Liquid diet flavoring?

KSFNP1
on 11/20/14 11:26 am

Hi all,

im laying in my hospital bed as I write this... I had my RNY at 2:30 pm today! I went grocery shopping yesterday for liquid diet items and realized something...is there a "cut off" of how much sugar and fat is too much? In other words, should I only be having liquids with no sugar at all? For an example, my surgeon said we can have applesauce... I bought the NO SUGAR ADDED applesauce, but then realized that there's still some sugar in there. I didn't see a sugar-free applesauce at my Kroger, but it has to exist somewhere! 

My other question is... Does anyone have any ideas as far as flavorings to add to these very bland liquids? I stick with Splenda, salt and pepper.... Anyone have any other recommendations to help me get these liquids down?

thanks!

knolmom
on 11/20/14 11:38 am

Quite a few folks recommend the Toriani Sugar Free Syrups to lively up the bland taste of some foods. Amazon has a special on the 5 flavor assortment and I ordered them last night.

White Dove
on 11/20/14 11:43 am - Warren, OH

There is sugar in the applesauce from the apples.  No sugar added is a great choice.  Flavor drinks with sugar-free syrups.  You can order them online and sometimes find them at Walmart or TJ Maxx.

I like DaVinci

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

bublegirl1
on 11/20/14 12:07 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I have a hard time getting water in so it seems to help adding SF kool aid liquid drops. I never cared for that stuff before but now I do. Also when you are on full liquids, I added SF pudding to my shake sometimes just to give it a better flavor and to change it up. The protein shakes are getting old, quick! I am 10 days out. Congrats on your surgery and good luck!

-Amie

KSFNP1
on 11/20/14 6:16 pm

Thank you all for the helpful tips! What flavored are you adding for savory liquids? Sticking with salt and pepper? I tried to get some cream of wheat at the grocery store (it's included in the liquid diet- go figure lol), but any of the flavored options had quite a bit of fat and sugar so I stuck with the unflavored kind. I wish I knew how much sugar/fat is too much! I know the obvious choices, but should I be avoiding fat at all costs now? I'm willing to do anything I need to be successful!!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/20/14 9:39 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Personally, I would worry far less about fat and more about carbs and sugar.  I am 10.5 months out and still wouldn't eat cream of wheat.  I guess every plan is different.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

KSFNP1
on 11/20/14 10:55 pm

I'm totally in agreement with you. I just had to try my best to find as many liquid options as possible for the next two weeks. 

NYMom222
on 11/20/14 11:51 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My Doc did have cream of wheat/farina listed on the first stage after liquids. I always added protein powder to it. My doc's recommendations is that nothing should have more than 5g added sugar. Protein drinks shouldn't be more than 200 calories, 5g of sugar and need to have at least 20g protein. Cinnamon and sweetener in plain yogurt worked for me in the beginning.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

KSFNP1
on 11/21/14 12:04 am

Cinnamon and sweetner in yogurt sounds great! I like those limitations... My doc has given us some, but not as detailed. I will definitely take that into account.. No more than 5g added sugar. Thanks for the advice!! So helpful!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 91 views
Recent Topics