Just need some encouragement

bublegirl1
on 11/20/14 11:37 pm, edited 11/20/14 11:38 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I'm really starting to feel like I should've  never did this. Not because of pain or anything but because the scale isn't moving. I'm 11 days out. With the sleeve I lost a lot in the beginning. It just makes me feel like this isnt going to work, which is why I didn't tell any family outside of my house about it. Im mad that I did this to myself and it doesn't feel to be working. I've lost 7.8 lbs since surgery. I guess that's ok but I guess I expected more in the beginning. Just having a down day I guess. 

-Amie

NYMom222
on 11/20/14 11:47 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

In 11 days you've lost almost eight pounds, that is almost a pound a day. How fast did you expect to lose? Some people gain after surgery because of the fluids they pump into you. I expected you to say you were on a plateau, which I would have said was totally normal too. Plateaus early on are normal. If you keep doing what you are supposed to do you will lose the weight. I felt the same way in the beginning, I had a 3 1/2 week stall my first month. Then later I had another 2 week stall. Horrors! LOL... Now I am just shy of my 4 month Surgiversary and I have lost 90 pounds pre and post-op and 65 of that post op. Hang in there.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

bublegirl1
on 11/20/14 11:51 pm, edited 11/21/14 12:13 am
RNY on 11/10/14

I honestly don't know how much I expected to lose. And I'm sure I sound stupid. I did lose 5 pounds preop from the two day liquid diet. The first week is when the scale moved. It only took me a couple days to lose all the fluid weight from the hospital. The last few days or so the scale has barely moved, meaning like .2 here or .3 there. 

I always take in between four and 600 cal a day. With my walking sometimes my net calories are only 300 a day.

-Amie

Amanda N.
on 11/21/14 12:09 am

I completely understand. I had my surgery 11/11/14. I had lost 8 pounds prior to surgery, but then gained 2 pounds from the surgery. Yuck. About day 3, I finally started to lose. I lost 2+ pounds a day for about 6 days, then I went down to 1 pound a day the last two days. Today, exactly the same weight as yesterday. I could have screamed (didn't want to alarm the family lol). 

I KNOW logically that this is normal, bound to happen, blah blah. But emotionally it is such a bummer to see the number not move. I just keep telling myself this is normal. I think my more irrational fear is that now that I am not on all liquids I won't lose the weight. Logically, I know this is wrong, but the emotional side of this is as difficult as the actual experience.

I would give it a full week. See what happens. Maybe make sure you are writing down what/when you are eating. Then, if the stall is continuing, you can look back and see if there is something that can be tweaked to change the trend. 

I am glad that you posted...you don't sound stupid, you sound normal. This is an emotional journey as much as anything and that part is as hard as the physical changes!! 

Poodlemac
on 11/21/14 11:05 am, edited 11/21/14 11:09 am
RNY on 09/26/14

You might need more calories. When I added a few, i broke my my plateau. Are you doing My Fitness Pal?  Helped me a lot!  My dr said the other day, "This isn't a downhill ride. It's more like stair steps. You'll go down, then plateau, down then plateau, down then plateau." Made great sense to me!  Hang in there!

Amy R.
on 11/21/14 12:04 am

You may need to try actually adding a few more calories per day.  Every time I stalled when I was in the honeymoon phase I added more protein in the form of a shake or two to my diet.  Within a couple of days the stall was always broken.  

I think our bodies really need time to stop and adjust to our rapid weight loss (and yes, 8lbs in 11 days is rapid)  thus we "stall" or "plateau" and then worry that we aren't losing fast enough.

You'll do great - your surgery is working.  Hang in there.

yankeescl
on 11/21/14 12:06 am
RNY on 09/12/13

I was 2 weeks out when I hit my first stall.  I was so discouraged and even broke down in tears at my NUT's office...it was so frustrating.  Please don't be discouraged, you will lose.  Just stick to your plan and the weight will come off.  Best of luck!

SUMO96
on 11/21/14 12:18 am - Dorado, Puerto Rico

That's a very good loss so far.i would recommend you stay off the scales and only weigh yourself once a week at the same time in the same scale.  Weighing yourself once or twice a day will drive you nuts!  Keep working the plan and you will see the rewards, but only once a week.

RNY 11/7/2014. Pereira, Colombia  HW 375lbs

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

NYMom222
on 11/21/14 12:47 am
RNY on 07/23/14

When I looked back on my stalls and slow periods it always broke when I ate a little something more or different than I usually did the couple of days before.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/21/14 12:49 am - OH

Patience, grasshopper.  It has only been 11 days!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics