Scheduled for surgery on 12/15 - and I am eating like a loon...

sqlchick19
on 11/24/14 12:09 am
RNY on 12/15/14

So, knowing my liquid/low cal pre-op diet starts on 12/1....I am having a gigantic farewell to food.   Sandwiches, sweets, pastas...all the things I know that I'm never really going to be able to have again.    Did anyone else do this?  I'm almost at the point where I am so sick of food that can't wait to start this pre-op diet...  I know the surgery is on my stomach, not my head (I've been through this once before with the Lap-band)...and I feel like once I'm in..I'll be IN.  But for now... - I'm eating with reckless abandon.  Thoughts?

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

cknapek
on 11/24/14 12:28 am - Shabbona, IL
RNY on 11/21/14

I had the 30 day pre op diet and went through waves of grieving for food. I was so scared that they wouldn't do the surgery if I didn't comply that it helped stay close to the plan. I loved my 3 Oz meat/veggie dinners; I could be a little creative with yummy flavorful salads. I did occasionally have some gouda or feta cheese  sprinkled in to relieve some of the craptastic monotone of the diet. It made it easier to stay away from other carbs which I have no idea how my brain was able to switch and not care too much. When I remember that this is the beginning, not the end of my eating, I'd feel motivated. But boy oh boy did I she'd some tears when I thought it was the end of the eating world. Let yourself grieve over and over again; it's like a rollercoaster.

sqlchick19
on 11/24/14 12:35 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Your pre-op plan sounds like a feast :).  I'm going to be limited to 4 protein shakes and 2 cups of vegetables a day...for 2 weeks.   Last time I put a little salsa on the veggies...but when I mentioned this to my surgeon...she told me "no" for this time...Sigh...

Ipatton
on 11/24/14 12:51 am - Canada

I found out I was having surgery on Dec 5th last Thursday and was told to start the liquid diet as soon as I hung up the phone.  My wife and I had made some significant changes around food in the house as it was ( we were both down about 30 lbs each) so its not like I was eating much junk in the 2 months prior to the call. However, I had a plan to hit up a sushi joint with my friend for one last hurrah. That didn't happen obviously.  I think I like it better this way because I was just thrown right into it, no time to mourn my food with a long drawn out goodbye.  to be honest after eating so clean for so long, the liquid diet isn't all that bad, and simply thinking of all the crap I used to eat actually turns my stomach i'm not sure what I could even keep down if I had the opportunity.

Ipatton
on 11/24/14 12:51 am - Canada

I found out I was having surgery on Dec 5th last Thursday and was told to start the liquid diet as soon as I hung up the phone.  My wife and I had made some significant changes around food in the house as it was ( we were both down about 30 lbs each) so its not like I was eating much junk in the 2 months prior to the call. However, I had a plan to hit up a sushi joint with my friend for one last hurrah. That didn't happen obviously.  I think I like it better this way because I was just thrown right into it, no time to mourn my food with a long drawn out goodbye.  to be honest after eating so clean for so long, the liquid diet isn't all that bad, and simply thinking of all the crap I used to eat actually turns my stomach i'm not sure what I could even keep down if I had the opportunity.

LISER617
on 11/24/14 12:58 am - MA
RNY on 08/01/14

i did the same thing before my preop diet. Having chinese food one last time and eating way too much, McDonalds one last time etc. I didnt have any problems transitioning to the preop diet and and have not had either of those things since. I think its normal and youll be just fine.

Lisa (38) my goal is 160 lbs.... my dream is happy and healthy

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/14 2:54 am
RNY on 11/17/14

I didn't do a farewell to food. I thought about it, but I chose to have a single final farewell meal, and even that was tame compared to some things I could have chosen. I almost ordered fried chicken and potatoes, but went with chowder and fish tacos instead. Though I did have dessert with it. I feel it was better for me, and my journey, to do it that way then have food mourning and gain back the weight I lost during the 6-months pre-surgery diet I was required to do.

I don't think anyone will blame you for going all wild right now, but it will be hard to stop cold turkey one you -need- to. 

NYMom222
on 11/24/14 3:12 am, edited 11/24/14 3:13 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I had what I called "The farewell Tour" Didn't stuff myself but I had a pre-op diet before the liquid diet that allowed me 100g protein a day and 100g carbs. So I tried to work it in, or at least spread it out so there wasn't too much damage. As far as the liquid diet goes...  Reign in the reckless abandon. Maybe write out your food plan for the day, at least it makes you think about what's available so you don't get stuck eating crazy. Also to think you can never have something again is false, you can choose not to have it, or you can have it rarely but you are still in control. I have been served pasta twice since surgery at other people's houses. First time I ate a few bites, the second time I took one bite. Didn't really have an appeal to me. Ate the meatball and some salad and I was totally satisfied. I didn't feel deprived.You may think of creative ways to work flavors you like in or change it up so it works. Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Dcgirl
on 11/24/14 10:57 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I did the same thing and GAINED weight before starting my pre-op diet.  Now?  I regret it!  I am 4.6 lbs from goal and if I hadn't eaten with reckless abandon before my pre-op diet, I would probably be at goal!  Every pound you gain now will need to be lost.

I think I was having food farewells for those final weeks because I thought "I will never have this again!".  It's funny because I have all of the foods I used to eat - just modified, and in MUCH smaller quantities.

Pizza?  I use half of a Flat out Light wrap in the toaster oven with a tbsp of sauce, some shredded cheese, and turkey pepperoni.

Mexican?  I have shrimp or chicken fajitas with a tiny bit of onion/pepper, sour cream, cheese, avocado - and bring home 2 more meals!

Asian?  I have Trader Joe's red curry sauce with shrimp - so flavorful!

Pasta?  Tofu shirataki noodles (no carbs, low cal) with some pesto and chicken or shrimp on top.

Brunch?  An egg or an egg white omelette and some bacon - every restaurant can oblige!

I am a carboholic and truly I have just decided that I can't allow pasta and bread into my life because I won't stop.  I don't miss them because my life is so busy with my new gym schedule and active lifestyle.  When I do see someone tucking into macaroni and cheese, do I have a twinge of regret?  Do I wish I could eat some?  For sure, but then I think about how good I feel, how large airplane seats are, how much energy I have, how many people look at me differently, how proud my friends and family are, and I realize mac and cheese was killing me.

Having food funerals isn't the worst thing in the world and I know I had my share.  The benefit of hindsight is that now, I wish I hadn't.

Good luck and enjoy the holiday this week!

sqlchick19
on 11/24/14 11:05 pm
RNY on 12/15/14

Thank you!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 572 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 281 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 462 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics