Casein protein

KSFNP1
on 11/27/14 7:40 am

Hi all!

One week post-op RNY here. I've been struggling to find protein that I can tolerate. I'm allergic to whey protein and I dumped yesterday after changing to egg protein powder (I found out the hard way that sugar alcohols are a no-no). I'm now at wal mart  and the soy protein powders are loaded with sugar. The only powder I can find is casein powder- per serving: 20g protein, 11g carbs, 0g sugar, less than 1g fat. I know it's a little high on the carbs, but I'm lost for other ideas. Is it ok for me to stick with casein  protein? Thanks for suggestions and happy thanksgiving!

*Kara*

Lap-band placement 10/31/2007; removal 10/22/14; RNY 11/20/14!

poet_kelly
on 11/27/14 8:45 am - OH

Are you allergic to all milk products or just whey?  Because casein is a protein from milk.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KSFNP1
on 11/27/14 9:09 am

I've never been allergic to milk or its products. Not that I know of at least. When I have whey protein, my throat and ears get extremely itchy and my throat will sometimes feel like it's swollen. I just had 8 oz of the casein protein powder and so far so good! I just wanted to make sure that it's an acceptable protein. 

*Kara*

Lap-band placement 10/31/2007; removal 10/22/14; RNY 11/20/14!

Naskey
on 11/27/14 11:01 pm - MI

I had to use Casein protein also due to a severe whey allergy, I tolerated it well.  My allergist was stumped as to why I could tolerate it so well.  Try it and see what happens. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 390 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics