Will I ever feel better

ClaudiaW
on 11/28/14 3:34 am - Rockwall, TX

I am six weeks post op. I did very well the first two weeks after surgery and then I got sick. I went back into the hospital and was diagnosed with acute gastritis and a large maginal ulcer. I have been out of the hospital for 10 days but still dont feel well. I am constantly sick to my stomach. I am taking lots of medicine. everything makes me feel sick. Ive lost 25lbs since Oct 21st and im grateful for that but im so tired of feeling sick. Nothing taste good either.  Has anyone experienced anything like this? Im praying things get better

MickeyDee
on 11/28/14 5:53 am

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough recovery, but it's good that the other problems were found and are being dealt with.  You will get better.  The changes in taste are not uncommon;  our tastebuds are rearranged and we have to learn how to retaste food.  Immediately after surgery, our bodies are burning fat, so we get an ashy taste in our mouths from our bodies trying to dispose of the aftereffects of combustion.  Most of it is released in our urine, which is why that can smell a little weird, too.  

I still don't get the same taste from some foods, but that's a good thing!  Mac & Cheese just doesn't have the same appeal anymore, neither does candy.  You will find that your own tastes will settle down.

Hang in there.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/28/14 6:26 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm sorry you are going through this. But soon you'll be healed, and start accomplishing your goals. Hang in there.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Dartmouth
on 11/28/14 6:03 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Under usual cir****tances, this surgery takes a little time to adjust to and adding on your difficulties, it will take longer....the taste issue seems to be a common problem that usually resolves itself over a about 6 months....

For the first 2-3 months, I ate to survive.  After that I began to eat to enjoy food a bit at a time ( I had always been a confirmed foodie!) and now I am trying to instill habits that give me interesting and varied food tastes and textures and keeping my protein levels high enough.

this is a journey that requires patience, a calm mind and soul and determination....try to relax, be zen through the tough parts and enjoy the good parts that will, I promise you, be coming!

and if you are worried...CALL your doctor!

joan

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views