Question, PCP and Labs

browneyes65
on 12/18/14 2:24 pm - IN

I have went to my PCP before and asked her about getting some labs done to make sure I don't have any deficiency because if I do I would like to correct it. My PCP does not want to order labs because she said she does not have anything to do my with my Surgery. My PCP said I have to go to my Surgeon for labs because she prescribes my Vitamins. I told her they are not prescribed just that I have to take and so does everyone else. She said my Surgeon tells me to take them so it's up to her to order any labs relating to my surgery. How do I get her to understand she can order them to? What do you say to your Dr to get them to order labs?

nhowe61
on 12/18/14 9:10 pm

I have found that my pop doesn't know enough about my procedure I had her do my blood work and all I got in return was well it normal for regular people.this last visit with my surgeon I asked he to run them I received counsel when they returned n I felt a lot of better. Also the codes for billing were correct and insurance paid for all of it.

browneyes65
on 12/19/14 1:09 am - IN

Why is it when My PCP did some blood work after a long time of explaining to do a few she got codes wrong so my Insurance would not pay but when Surgeon does it they will Pay?

Poodlemac
on 12/18/14 10:57 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I'd trust my surgeon's expertise much more than a pcp.  I spoke to mine (at the time) and quickly realized she was clueless. She told me to be sure to get a certain surgery, but didn't know what it was called. Gee thanks!  The right surgeons know their stuff. You wouldn't go to your pcp to deliver your baby would you?  They might could do it if they had to, but the OB would clearly be a better choice!  

browneyes65
on 12/19/14 1:11 am - IN

I hear a lot on here that a lot of people go to their PCP for labs ?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/20/14 9:35 am - OH

Yes, many of us have our PCPs do our lab work.  Some because our surgeons are no longer available, some because the surgeon's office visits are significantly more expensive than the PCPs, and some just because they like their PCP being involved and aware of their vitamin requirements and nutritional status since that can often play a part in diagnosing various kinds of medical problems.

Besides, an awful lot of surgeons don't know any more than a PCPS about nutrition even if they are a bariatric surgeon... They just give starting vitamin supplementation guidelines and then rely on the labs "normal"/high/low flags on the lab report!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 12/19/14 3:46 am - OH

Actually, I'd want a midwife to deliver my baby unless I was having some sort of complications.  They are better at handling normal childbirth than an OB.

And it doesn't take much expertise to order labs.  You just write down the tests you need.  Any doctor should be capable of ordering labs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Poodlemac
on 12/19/14 12:16 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

It's about the pcp knowing what labs are necessary for a person having had WLS. It really has nothing to do with childbirth so your point is moot. 

poet_kelly
on 12/19/14 12:19 pm - OH

You were the one that brought up childbirth.  You asked who the OP would want to deliver her baby.

I took my PCP a list of the labs I wanted ordered.  He didn't need to know what labs were necessary, because I knew.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/20/14 9:39 am - OH

All you need to start with is the list of what the surgeon checks or a copy of one of your previous lab reports!  It isn't some closely guarded secret. Besides, many surgeons only check very basic labs when what we really need includes a number of other things.  Many surgeons don't check Vitamin A levels, for example, despite the fact that it is one of the vitamins we significantly malabsorb.

Some surgeons know VERY little about nutrition, unfortunately.

Lora.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 383 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 14 replies · 66 views
Recent Topics