Is it normal to be hungry?

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/14 2:41 am

Hello - RNY on Dec 15th.

I'm on a liquid die****er, broth, sugar free jello, and bariatric nectar with a protein goal of 60 grams. Yesterday, I had 46 grams :) I will start soft foods Dec 23.

I'm experiencing a lot of head hunger. I am craving sugar...having dreams about cupcakes! LOL But, I take a few sips and I'm full.

Is this a normal experience? How long until my brain and body are in sync?

Thank you for your feedback :)

Member Services
on 12/19/14 5:45 am - Irvine, CA

Hi 

This is one of our biggest challenges in losing weight and keeping it off.  Conquer it and you are a winner!  Here is a great article on Head Hunger.  Keep us posted on how you are doing

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/?s=head+hunger

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

karenp8
on 12/19/14 8:33 am - Brighton, IL

I'm pretty sure many of us struggled with head hunger. We've spent our whole lives eating far too much food and dealing with stress and emotions by using food as a substitute. It takes time to learn new habits and taking the time to learn healthier habits is what will lead to long term success. We'll get there eventually!

sqlchick19
on 12/19/14 8:48 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Hey!  My date was 12/15 too...and I'm also thinking about food.  Burritos especially.  So weird.  I think I'm just sick of the sweet post-op liquid diet (crystal light, shakes, ices, etc).  I'm going to have the chicken flavored protein in broth later (only got down 26 gr of protein so far and it's 7:45 pm...sigh...).

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

kms21189
on 12/19/14 8:56 am - west fargo , ND
RNY on 12/09/14

My dos was 12/9 and I feel for you. My 4th Fay all I wanted was McDonald's and I didn't even eat McDonald's before! Also with the protein it's hard to get the 65g in a day. Don't stress. It will get easier. 

Browneyedgirl33
on 12/19/14 11:32 am

The dreams are normal.  I am five weeks out and I dreamed the other day about engulfing reese pieces.  My dreams are so real I wake up worried that I slept walked and put something I wasn't supposed to in my mouth LOL I don't know if the cease or if it just takes time.  Sad when your nightmares involve food now instead of Scary Movies lol

Perennia
on 12/21/14 12:15 am

I'm bummed out because I feel like I am experiencing a lot of *actual* physical hunger, now 3 days post-op (RNY on 12/18). I am getting in plenty of fluids, focusing on that over protein (per my MD) but I'm getting protein shakes down too, though it's making me so bloated and gassy... my whole ribcage feels like a swollen barrel of gas that's been kicked 100 times. 

Not a lot of pain or anything other than that, just feeling what feels like actual physical hunger which is something I thought this surgery would alleviate for me for at least a little while. :( 

Grim_Traveller
on 12/21/14 12:51 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The first couple of weeks after surgery I was at my absolute hungriest. Maybe it was just because it wad so long since having actual food. Weeks without eating is not natural. But once I was able to start a little food, I was no longer hungry. At all. Not for several months.

Hang in there. Follow your plan, and it will get better.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views