I want a bypass but family says sleeve HELP!

Galleymaid
on 12/20/14 10:31 am

Hi, I'm Carla age 51, mother to 4 and Grandma to 5 (and counting)

I went to Mexico in 2006 and got the band. I lost 25 lbs in the first month, then went from 271 to 349. The doctor drained my band a few weeks ago so I could eat protein, I'm now at 294. I forget to eat, I'm just not hungry most of the time. When I do eat I don't eat that much. I was very confused about carbohydrates tell I became diabetic. My diabetes class showed me I was eating almost all carbohydrate meals. (It said whole grain and low fat????) OK, I now know how to eat but with diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, fibromyalgia and knee and shoulder injuries, I need some help to get back down to a manageable weight.

I am about two months into the bariatric program in Corvallis Oregon ( Dr Yarbrough). I've read lots on this site and others plus the two orientations at the hospital. I want the bypass for sure now. I was unsure in the beginning so my family wanted to help by doing their own research. Now all I here is "your wrong, you don't want your body took apart, you could die from malnourishment." Im going nuts here. I just want someone to say "good choice". I'm not dumb, in fact I'm a medical assistant so I have a little medical training. They make me wonder if I'm right or am I really wrong????

What do I say to people that know whats best for me...(not) without hurting their feelings? I know they love me and want whats best for me, but they don't live in my skin... I do and I'm all alone in here!!! I just need support

NYMom222
on 12/20/14 4:27 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

First this is a decision between you and your Doctor. What does your Doctor say?  In general with Diabetes my understanding was they recommended Bypass, as it has a higher rate of the Diabetes resolving itself. Have you gone to any support meeting where you can have real conversations with people who have had bypasses?  I found it helped me in my decision. From what I have read the malabsorption with bypass usually only lasts 2 1/2 years maximum. In my mind hopefully I will have learned new habits by then to maintain the weight loss.

Both surgeries can be very successful. If you read the boards here, there are many people with both surgeries that have lost lots of weight. Either way it is a tool, and we are still required to eat and do the right things. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Galleymaid
on 12/21/14 12:54 am

My doctor said it's all up to me he will do what I want

NYMom222
on 12/22/14 1:28 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Does he give you any recommendations on why for you one would be better than the other? I think for my doc having over a 50+ BMI was one reason he preferred Bypass. As I said Diabetes control can be a factor a well as GERD for getting Bypass. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Galleymaid
on 12/22/14 2:54 am

My doctor said he does the sleeve and the bypass the same amount of times. He can educate me but in the end what I choose is what he will do. He has given no recommendations.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/20/14 8:37 pm

I had RNY and even though weight wise i am a success...but i really wished i had VSG. 

I had way too many complications that i think are results of long term post op RNY, ((severe food alkergies and itolerances) .  On top of that due RNY i can't take ibuprofen or like, and when i am in pain i had to rely on tylenol or narcotics. Trust me- some of my headaches can really use simple advil...or muscle pains - advid helps with inflammation while Tylenol.-  only mask pain. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Galleymaid
on 12/21/14 12:52 am

The lap band has stopped me from taking other pain meds like Advil so I understand that complaint.  I go to the pain clinic.

poet_kelly
on 12/20/14 8:41 pm - OH

Tell them your doctor says RNY is best for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

selhard
on 12/20/14 9:10 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

The good chance RNY will put your diabetes in remission trumps hurting your family's feelings! I was age 51 when I made the decision to have WLS getting discharged from the hospital on my 52nd birthday.  Shortly after, I was off all medical prescriptions for many of the things you mentioned. If your family isn't willing to be the support system you need, find it here, at your surgeon's office, and/or at a local support group.

Galleymaid
on 12/21/14 12:48 am

I hope my medical conditions get better or go away after wls.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 417 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 120 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?